Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, I have heard bad and good things about it. My fiancee wants to be a nurse for the prison system, Is it as bad as everyone says?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Think about it. When one is a first class scumbag, where do they put you? I suppose working for the dept of corrections is OK if one really doesn't mind working with the segment of society, the rest of society finds necessary to lock up for safety.
I understand it's very corrosive to a persons outlook on life.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
lets see how can I say this..... what you have to become, to get by in their becomes harder and harder to turn off when you get home. in time your family will end up paying a cost. I worked at a place ware they sent people that were TOO BAD for jail for quiet a few years. I saw it . you can not prevent beeing affected by your enviroment. it will happen. High burn out rates, high stress related problems. on and on. TAKE YOUR SKILL SOMEPLACE ELSE!!!!
yes I am shure others will say they do or did it and they are fine, but they are rare at best. Again you can not prevent beeing affected by your enviroment!!! 8 hours a day min is a lot of your life, it will get you.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I think it would be fine if you were a golf instructor at a white collar Club Fed.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Yeah Custer, my brother works as a com. tech. at one of those places. It is so low security, that they don't even have a fence up around the place. This is mostly for people that done things like tax evasion and that kind of stuff. If a prisoner acts up, he's sent somewhere else. If the facility your girlfriend is wanting to work at is one like this it might not be too bad, but I'd probably grit my teeth if it were any tougher of a place.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
When I was a cop, I took a tour of a state pen. I was never so glad to get out of a place. Like a living nightmare, if it is one of those places, it has to have a negative affect on a person, unless they have icewater in their veins.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I've never been arrested or put in jail.

However, I was involved in a business leadership group that took a day long tour of our new mega justice center.

Somehow I got "volunteered" to spend 20 minutes in one of the cells while everyone went to lunch. That was a long 20 minutes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Being a nurse in a jail/prison can be an okay job as you normally have limited contact with the prisoners (you aren't usually 'in population' like a prison guard) .

Unless you work in a very minimum security prison , you WILL see things that will have an effect on you. A prisoner with a destroyed rectum from engaging in anal sex (willingly or not) , prisoners stabbed , assaulted , and murdered.

ANYONE who works in a prison , including guards , medical staff , visiting clergy , etc are all subject to one universal truth : If there is a prisoner take over of the facilty and you are caught in it YOU WILL be beat up , possibly murdered , and with near 100% certainty YOU WILL BE RAPED.

In the early 1990's in Ohio , in the Lucasville Prison riots EVERY hostage was raped and at least one was tied up (after being raped) and skinned while he was still alive (he later died). To my knowledge all of the hostages were male.

With nurses , they face special challenges , as most are female and prisoners rarely see females , inmates will do things such as masterbate through the bean holes in their cell doors and time it so that they can ejaculate just as the nurse is passing by.

Dems the cold hard facts.

Working in a prison can be easy sometimes , fun at other times (adrenaline) , but at it's roots you must remember that EVERY DAY YOU GO TO WORK ANY OF THE ABOVE CAN HAPPEN and you could DIE WORKING THERE.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I was a cop for almost two years before I decided I wanted to go back in the Army and make that my career. I never did talk about that on the other gun board because they are always bashing law enforcement - which is a very honorable profession. During that brief period of time, I saw all the jail cells I wanted to experience. I made dogonned sure that I wouldn't do something that would put me in one of those cages when I didn't want to be there.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
I've pulled duty as a "Tailgunner" for stockade prisoners on labor detail at Fort Bragg, NC............thats the guy that carries a pump shotgun and walks behind the prisoners. :smoke:

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
DorGunR said:
I've pulled duty as a "Tailgunner" for stockade prisoners on labor detail at Fort Bragg, NC............thats the guy that carries a pump shotgun and walks behind the prisoners. :smoke:
My Dad has done that before. He said that if a prisoner escaped, you had to serve the rest of his sentence.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Preacher said:
My Dad has done that before. He said that if a prisoner escaped, you had to serve the rest of his sentence.
Preacher......I've heard that too....don't know if it's true or not but I wasn't gonna find out the hard way..........if you get my drift. :smoke:

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
DorGunR said:
Preacher......I've heard that too....don't know if it's true or not but I wasn't gonna find out the hard way..........if you get my drift. :smoke:
He was in during Korea. I'm sure they probably changed that by now. But he said that for the truth.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Preacher said:
He was in during Korea. I'm sure they probably changed that by now. But he said that for the truth.
Well, if you look at my sig line you can see the time I was in service. The Fort Bragg detail that I mentioned happened in 1955.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Took an all day tour of the Colorado State Prison in Canyon City......35 years ago.What a pleasant,friendly,nourishing place it was.So filled with wholesome peace loving people that it was a real pleasure to walk outside into the sunlight and not breathe that miasma that passes for air,inn da joint.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I worked in a prison for eight years as a civilian employee.

The first thing I can say is, "Be afraid. Be very afraid."

Start now talking your fiance out of it and don't stop until she agrees. If she doesn't, dump her.

It's not that her life will be in any DANGER. The inmates, who are locked up for years without female companionship, will continually look for an opportunity to "get intimate" with her. It was a constant problem at the prison I worked for: Smooth Talking Inmate Keeps Working to Have Sex with Female Employee. Inmate Succeeds. Employee is Fired.

You have to understand that inmates learn the ultimate tool for survival: cunning.

They study ways to gain an advantage. The will work night and day to get your fiance's trust, and then, one fine day, when you two are having problems, so-and-so inmate that has gained your fiance's trust over the years will finally make his move.

I have seen it again and again. I have seen it (the scenario, not the actual act) so many times that after eight years I began to realize that any female employee of the prison has probably had sex with an inmate or will soon. The worst part is, some of my best friends were correctional officers whose wives left them to be with paroled inmates. I'm not exaggerating. To this day I feel like asking potential dates if they've ever worked for a prison.

Yes, it is that bad. But look on the bright side: if your wife weighs 400 lbs and looks like a bizarre genetic experiment the inmates will probably leave her alone.

Nah. They won't. To quote an inmate, "P*ssy is P*ssy."

Hope this keeps you awake at night. It should.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I would have to say we are ALL in agreement.. IT IS A BAD IDEA!!!! sometime in the future you will regret it. certainly their are many other places ware your skills will be needed and you will not have to make that kind of personal sacrofice.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I've done some work as a counselor in both prison and jail settings. I thought it was interesting work, liked it.

In both settings there was a "no hostages" policy, which I liked: If you were taken hostage, tough luck. No negotiating for hostages, and if you get raped or killed or whatever that's your own tough luck. Cold-hearted, perhaps, but makes your being taken hostage in the first place far less likely.

G

·
Triangle 66 said:
Being a nurse in a jail/prison can be an okay job as you normally have limited contact with the prisoners (you aren't usually 'in population' like a prison guard) .

Unless you work in a very minimum security prison , you WILL see things that will have an effect on you. A prisoner with a destroyed rectum from engaging in anal sex (willingly or not) , prisoners stabbed , assaulted , and murdered.

ANYONE who works in a prison , including guards , medical staff , visiting clergy , etc are all subject to one universal truth : If there is a prisoner take over of the facilty and you are caught in it YOU WILL be beat up , possibly murdered , and with near 100% certainty YOU WILL BE RAPED.

In the early 1990's in Ohio , in the Lucasville Prison riots EVERY hostage was raped and at least one was tied up (after being raped) and skinned while he was still alive (he later died). To my knowledge all of the hostages were male.

With nurses , they face special challenges , as most are female and prisoners rarely see females , inmates will do things such as masterbate through the bean holes in their cell doors and time it so that they can ejaculate just as the nurse is passing by.

Dems the cold hard facts.

Working in a prison can be easy sometimes , fun at other times (adrenaline) , but at it's roots you must remember that EVERY DAY YOU GO TO WORK ANY OF THE ABOVE CAN HAPPEN and you could DIE WORKING THERE.

skinned alive? where did you hear that? i was working with the patrol on that one ,and i have never heard that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It has been a while , but I recall that officers that responded to Lucasville from my department had told me that the CO that was murderd was skinned.I tried a Google search and came up with nothing , other than the fact that a CO was murdered and that the one inmate is presently on death row for that murder.

To be sure it was nasty.

MAJOR PITA , You brought up an aspect that I had overlooked.

Over the years I have seen FULLY 90% of the female kitchen staff fired for having sex with inmates WHILE IN THE KITCHEN.

The GAME is easy to run...
(Waiting for proper timing) " Ba - Bee , wassamadder you fightin' with yo ol' man ? " " Ba- Bee if I was with you I'd treat you like a queen" ...................

Contrary the previous comment , I've seen average girls fall for it , but actually the ones nearer to 400lbs seem to fall for it quicker. (I'm fat and some man ACTUALLY LOVES ME!).

The male worker / female inmate senerio seems to happen less or be less dramatic.... female looks good guy sees oppurtunity.......done deal.

Women being more emotional will throw away their whole life (bring in bolt cutters / drugs / help escape) , where as males tend to "bust a nut" and that is the end of the deal.

Now , as far as nursing staff " dealin' " with inmates , in my experience I have rarely heard of that , though there have been a few nurses , out of probably 100 over the years , that have been fired for just that , though it was inappropriate emotional closeness rather than actual sex , due to the nurses having limited contact with inmates where I work.

In a prison , where inmates live there 30yrs it may be a different situation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts