Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hello all,
This is just an idea that someone gave me, So I thought that I would try it out on my favorite forum to see what you guys thought.
I have finished a good many of Ak's, Sks's, M14's, M1's wood/plastic furniture to know that I might have something in trade here.
Have any of you looked at a pic and thought, "Boy I'd like to have that look on my rifle"? I thought so, and I can do just that. I have a very well defined back ground in art/graphics design to know there are many colors out there that can be duplicated and achieved. I've accomplished it many times with my chronic knowledge of finishing many types of wood.
Just to name a few, Mahogany,beech,banack,s.pine,drift,oak,spruce, etc.
I'm not exactly sure on the text but I've finished many types of household furniture also. I know my lumber so to speak.
I'm not exactly sure how much that I would charge at the moment, but it would be at a reasonable price depending on the shape and condition of the part/parts.
The customer would send the furniture to me with a good description of the preference or pic and after finishing of the cure. I will send it back with a detailed tracking number from my carrier. I'm sure that you won't be dissapointed with the overall finish that you receive back on my work.
I would probably have a few choices such as (type #1-Color only), (Type-#2 Color and choice of laquard coat. High gloss, semi-gloss, Flat, etc.) and (Type#3 same as #2 but with finished hardware) scratch resistant butt plates screws etc.
Example: "Russian red".....No problem send photo, (type #3) OD green butt plate.
Depending on the labor/scale is what I would base the price on (Just incase someone was to send me a nicked or beat up stock for example). I have a pic below just for an example of one of my own. I will post more pics if needed. Like I said this is just a thought for right now, to see who may be interested. Let me know. And feel free to ask any questions.
Thanks,
-Shadow-

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yosouth,
This is in between a cherry and dark walnut with a scratch resistant
High gloss "spar" coat. It looks nice in the photo but in person you can actually see yoour face in it. These are "show" finishes. I even have one with the rough field look to it that I don't have a pic of but it looks pretty neat.
Thanks,
-Shadow-

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
How heat resistant is your finish? I re-did my Wasr-10 Furniture and I have some bubbling starting to appear in the polyureathane. My Uncle does a bit of wood working and helped with it. I figure we should have used something else besides the PU but hindsight is 20/20.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Man",
I find that Minwax's (Spar varnish) urithane works the best. Once cured it's about twice the strength of the standard poly. The "Spar" is made for out door use and lasts for a much more of a durable finish. Heat resistant to a certain degree I'm not sure how much, but it is stronger.
-Shadow-

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Shadow, have you ever done any finishing with Iodine? I've seen a few polish pieces finished with it, and it looks really nice. Any suggestions on how a home builder could make and use an Iodine finish?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I would be interested in my AKM furniture from my IO kit I just got. Do you have any other pictures of different ones that you have done? Please post if you do.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
the test is to put it on a lower handguard and blast 120 rounds out of your AK in rapid fire.

I have had standard wood coating get sticky after the bump fire test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts