Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see in the new catalog they have a folding stock for the AK for about $49. Any one know if it Is sturdy and worth considering?

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
I have one and like how it feels. I am just trying decide which rifle to put it on. The folding mechanism is a little different than I originally expected - but it seems sturdy enough.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I saw one last week in a gun store up around Rockford IL. It had been bought by the storeowner to use himself but he thought it looked too ?crappy? and tossed it into a parts box at reduced price. I took a look at it and said no thanks, even with the lower price I wouldn?t put that on my gun. I think its price is too high for what you get, but that may be that I?ve spent too many years working in the Injection Molding trade. It just made me want an aluminum stock more than ever. Maybe an Ace Skeletal Stock?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I saw a Tapco folding stock at a local gunstore. I thought it looked cheap and cheezy.

I've got an ACE buttstock on my SAR, can't say enough good things about it. But they're awfully expensive - close to $100 for the buttstock itself and the receiver block it attaches to. And the adaptor to make it fold is another $65. Not worth $65 to me to have a stock that folds.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I haven't seen the TAPCO in person but it looks to much like the ACE. I know the ACE stock is well made as is their adapter but it too looks a little clunky. Like to much metal is hanging out the back end of the receiver.

On my current build (AMD-65), I'm using an ACE short entry stock with a 1" buttpad. The AK to AR15 stock adapter I'm using is the one sold by Blackjack Buffers. To me it doesn't appear as clunky. It's made out of some type of polymer (plastic), and I wish it was either steel or aluminum but it looks like it will do the job. While it isn't a drop-in, it didn't take to much to fit properly (although sometimes I go overboard for fit and finish). The thing that I have to get used to is how the ACE buttstock is canted at the back of the stock, it fits the crook of your shoulder nicely whlie keeping the rifle straight, just looks weird (I'm used to the buttstock always being straight).

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
They do look kind of cheap, dont they?....Do they interfere with the trigger if closed? By looking at the picture it looks as if they did but I couldn't tell for sure.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Mine is real sturdy, and the extra length is nice, good cheek weld too. It is not flimsy, nor does it feel cheap I like it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I saw a Tapco folding stock at a gunshow. I thought it looked cheap and cheezy. When a passer-by picked up and sholdered it I noticed the stock bowed (flexed) right in the middle like a freaking leaf spring. What a P.O.S.! and it's not even close to looking Eastern Block.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I posted this thread, I did have the chance to see one at a local gun show. Unlike the glass filled polymer SKS folders I have seen, this is made of unreinforced plastic. It does flex when stressed. The lockup is poor in my opinion. it is not consistant with the robust design of the AK.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Chiroone said:
...Unlike the glass filled polymer SKS folders I have seen, this is made of unreinforced plastic....
Now, that is just plain stupid and shows a contemptuous attitude towards their customers. Wouldn't have cost them much - if any - more to make it of reinforced plastic. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
First post here so greetings . I have a Tapco folder on one of my builds.....It is the longer Nato lenght...I do not think it will hold up to heavy use also it folds where you can use the trigget but the charging handle will rub if fired in the folded positon . I also laid it accidently against my Romy after two mags and it melted the butt a bit . So I would say for non serious plinking and such would be fine . But for heavy use would go with a Romanian side folder....

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I ever get a folder I want an underfolder. But I've seen both the Tapco and the one pictured below. If I had to choose I'd get this one.

·
Gunco Irregular
2,990 Posts
I just installed a Tapco side-folding stock. I figured out the press-down-and-turn mechanism to get it to fold. That's reasonable, you don't want to accidentally fold it while you're shooting. Then I tried to unfold it. I figured it would have a spring-loaded detent to unfold. I gave it a not-very-hard tug and broke the hinge into bits.

The package says "LIFETIME WARRANTY", but there's no phone, address, or web site. I'll see if the place I bought it from will do something.

Also, the Tapco fore-end upper/lower doesn't line up by almost 1/8", left to right. I'm not pleased with that, either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first post, so be kind. I put an ATI Strikeforce package on mine and I like it. I must say that anything might be an improvement over the factory wood.

·
Gunco Irregular
2,990 Posts
If I'd started a new thread, I would have received the "we talked about that six years ago, can't you search the archives before you start a new thread, you loser?" rant.

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
If I'd started a new thread, I would have received the "we talked about that six years ago, can't you search the archives before you start a new thread, you loser?" rant.
Not if you stated you have a problem and need help.
Now if you started a new thread asking about the stock (thinking of buying one) then we would have called you a loser for not searching. :D

This place isn't like the kindergarden forums, if you have a question ask, you might get harassed but your question will get answered along with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had quick and positive service from tapco, on thier defective products, but they always replace them with a new defective part , no problem .The only thing they make decently and not always ,is the trigger groups for Kalashnikovs ,but they bought those from another company awhile back. I guess thats why I have heard them called CRAPCO , from time to time . But that is just my opinion ,and I have a lot of them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok, while we're resurrecting a long dead thread on Tapco folding stocks here's a question: Does anyone make a US made, synthetic folding stock that looks like the Tapco, but made from sturdier material (I would think glass filled nylon would be a decent choice) and with a better hinge that doesn't break as easily an locks positively?

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts