Gunco Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Let us know Ziggy. Looks like it might me interesting.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
That looks really cool, too bad they don't make one for an AK.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I'm curtious about...

Whether it requries permanent modification of the weapon (looks like it requires removal of the disassembly lever, which is close enough to permanent in my book)

Whether it mars the finish of the weapon (looks like it does)

Does it really does retain zero on assembly and disassembly (since it looks like you've got to remove it when field-stripping the weapon).

If you had an SKS for which you didn't care about the first two questions, and if the answer to the third is "Yes", I'd say it looks like an excellent product. I like very large apertures for receiver sights, but it wouldn't be hard to open it up with a drill if you thought it was too small.

I'm also kind of curious about whether it comes with something to replace the existing rear sight, since the open sight blade would only get in the way and if I recall correctly when you remove the sight leaf on an SKS it exposes more than you'd care to leave exposed. Although I guess you could file the sight blade off of the sight leaf and cold-blue it.

Please let us know what you think about it after you've had the opportunity to check it out.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Very nice. I saw their ad in Shotgun News and I must say it looks better than I thought it would. I think I?d put thin blackened piece of aluminum under those setscrew?s so it doesn?t mark the rear of the receiver.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Any word back if you weapon retains a good zero after disassy?? I'd like to get one for mine, but if you have to re-zero every time.......NIX

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I'd hold off for the windage-and-elevation adjustable model, too.

If I had an SKS that was the foundation for a project weapon, like a Norinco I used to have (but, alas, screwed up!), I'd be very inclined to give it a shot, except... In that case I'd probably go for the Lyman; the Lyman receiver sight is, in my estimation, the best rear iron sight ever made.

Anyway, my current SKS is a minty Russian original, not a good candidate in my estimation for this sort of stuff.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
ziggy, I think the greatest market for aperture receiver sights and for optics on SKS's and AK's possibly may be middle aged farts like myself who start having difficulty with open sights about the time they notice that newspaper print is too small to read when you hold the paper far enough away to be able to get it into focus.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yep. Sucks. Although beats the heck out of dying.

What I can't figure out is why open sights have become so awful, yet I continue to have no problems with handgun sights.

Thankfully, I was never a big fan of open sights in the first place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts