Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a good bit of ammo for the AR. Has anyone here had any bad experiences with either golden bear or silver bear ammo in their AR's. I know it's steel cased and have heard that some people may have experienced extractor breakage while using steel cased ammo, but can't find anyone that has actually had the problem and can link it directly to the ammo. Do any of you use these brands for regular shooting and whats been the results?
Currently I still have a few battlepacks of SA left, but will need something to replace it at a comparable price.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
They are running a sale on .223 ammo right now. Its on the main page.

Sale Ends Nov. 30th
7.62x39 Russian non-corrosive 123 gr HP or FMJ
1000 rnds - $69.95

223 Natec Spectrum
55 gr FMJ, polymer case ammo1000 rnds - $139.95

223 Russian non-corrosive 55 gr. HP lacquer coated
1000 rnds - $89.95

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I have an Olympic Arms AR ..it shoots anything except Lacqured casings..they even have a warning about it on their Website.. I guess when you get the gun real hot the Lacquer melts leaving a solid mess when it cools..

·
Registered
273 Posts
yea the laquer is a no no lol the new polymer wolf runs well in all of my ARs

·
Registered
133 Posts
mbadboyz said:
223 Natec Spectrum
55 gr FMJ, polymer case ammo1000 rnds - $139.95
I've heard from several people that the Natec is crap, and have seen some
fired casings that had self-destructed on attempt to eject.

They're the last thing I'd feed my ARs unless it was a SHTF situation, and I
had no other choice.:sick:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
From what I've read over time over at Brand X, Silver Bear is the worst, Barnaul the best, and Wolf in between. I use 55g Wolf in my SAR-3.

Whether it's OK to use steel-cased ammo in an AR is one of those perennial questions, such as whether it's OK to leave mags fully loaded.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I shoot whatever I can get the best price.

I have not had any problems. I clean my guns when I am done shooting and do not detect any lacquer issues.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Custer said:
I shoot whatever I can get the best price.

I have not had any problems. I clean my guns when I am done shooting and do not detect any lacquer issues.
if you don't get the barrel real hot you wouldn't have any problems with the Lacquer cases..

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
WC846 said:
if you don't get the barrel real hot you wouldn't have any problems with the Lacquer cases..
kind of hard to do, unless you shoot a round, then wait a minute before you shoot the next one.

as for the steel casing wearing out the extractor, or breaking it I have never heard of a extractor breaking, unless they bought some extractor made by who knows in what trailer.......as for it wearing out faster.....yeah, it's possible that it might wear it out a little before it's time........but I doubt that it will be real soon.......more like in the 10s of thousands range.....in any case if you are that worried about it, just buy a extra extractor for a couple bucks, but honestly I don't believe you will need to replace, for quite a long, long time. the steel the extractor is made from, should be harder then the case.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
W.T. Sherman said:
kind of hard to do, unless you shoot a round, then wait a minute before you shoot the next one.
I guess it would all hinge on what you consider hot.

olympic arms has this to say:

What we are seeing is that once the chamber in the rifles gets hot, it is melting the lacquer off of the casings, and leaving a gelatinous goo in your chamber. Under continuous fire, this is usually not noticed, but once you stop, the barrel cools, the lacquer sets and you now cannot chamber and/or properly extract your ammunition.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
WC846 said:
I am sure I get it plenty hot. In fact, often stop shooting a rifle for a while to let it cool down.

I am more concerned about the heat on the wooden handguards than I am lacquer.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Custer said:
I am sure I get it plenty hot. In fact, often stop shooting a rifle for a while to let it cool down.

I am more concerned about the heat on the wooden handguards than I am lacquer.
ya got me on that one..you'll never have problems with an AK..

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Dunno about an AR, but my SAR-3 really likes 55g Wolf 5.56 FMJ.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just finished up 1000 rounds of israeli surplus .223. Shot really well, one bad primer in all of it and cost only $129. Plus it was brass cased

·
'Explosives expert"
1,208 Posts
cosmonaut said:
I just finished up 1000 rounds of israeli surplus .223. Shot really well, one bad primer in all of it and cost only $129. Plus it was brass cased
Wouldn't happen to know where one might be able to get some of that at the same price do you???????

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Leadhead said:
Wouldn't happen to know where one might be able to get some of that at the same price do you???????
i saw this in the shotgun news..but i have never ordered from them.
KY Imports they are in Louisville KY..in your state..they have it listed on their website..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts