Gunco Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

just put together an ar15, its a mixed bag of parts M16 upper, ar15 barrel,m16 lower parts kit minus the auto sear and m16 bolt/bolt carrier, what seems to be the problem is when I charge it, the bolt stops about 0.080" short of beeing home unless I push it all the way home with the forward assist it only slightly hits the carttridge( I'm using blanks to test) so does not fire, when the bolt is pushed home using the forward assist it fires!!!!! I've opened the rifle up and checked if it catches on the upper but looks OK, so I'm thinking it could be catching on the lower parts as it slams forward ( could only be the hammer me thinks) has anyone else come accross this??
thanks for any help. Dinger. :thankyou:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the exact same problem once. I found the magazine feed lips were hitting the bolt carrier. Does the bolt close with no mag?

Samuel

·
Registered
329 Posts
dinger said:
Hi all,

just put together an ar15, its a mixed bag of parts M16 upper, ar15 barrel,m16 lower parts kit minus the auto sear and m16 bolt/bolt carrier, what seems to be the problem is....
Hopefully you are just using incorrect terminology. If you are building or have an AR-15 and concurrently possess even ONE M16 part (even if it's not in the rifle... even if it's in your dresser drawer), ATF considers it a "machine gun".

An M16 bolt carrier has a different rear geometry than an AR-15 bolt carrier. An M16 hammer has a little upward pointing "hook" on it's end where it catches the hammer releaser ("auto sear").

If you indeed have ANY, I said *ANY* M16 parts, get rid of them immediately!!!

Concurrent posession of an AR-15 and ANY, repeat ANY M16 part is legally considered a machinegun.

No need to spend 20 years in Club Fed for an honest mistake.

Roger

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
Any full auto M16 parts in a AR15 .
This includeds Bolt carrier and fire control group

From what your post said you are running a M16 bolt carrier and a m16 hammer.
Either would classify your AR15 as a MACHINE GUN even if the rifle does not fire full auto.

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
Sounds like the hammer is not latching on the sear, pull back the bolt, open the gun and see if the hammer is locked back. if not get new fcg parts.

·
Registered
329 Posts
DrugRunR said:
Any full auto M16 parts in a AR15 .
This includeds Bolt carrier and fire control group

From what your post said you are running a M16 bolt carrier and a m16 hammer.
Either would classify your AR15 as a MACHINE GUN even if the rifle does not fire full auto.
Correct. ANY M16 part makes the AR-15 (legally) a machinegun, even though it won't do full auto.

And, don't just remove the M16 parts and put in AR-15 parts... you must remove them from your possession.

Chop them up with a saw and throw them out, cut them up with a torch, toss them out your car window... anything... just get rid of them.

Don't wait - do it NOW.

I know it seems stupid to take a perfectly good bolt carrier that will not run full auto anyway, throw it out and buy another one to replace it, but that's better than spending a few decades in Club Fed...

Lastly, as I said before, this means *ANY* M16 part. I once read (don't know if it's true) that someone got busted for having an M16 FIRING PIN in their AR-15!

Absurd I know... but take care of it IMMEDIATELY!

Roger

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Not trying to point any fingers here, but after reading this thread, I get a little bothered. Dinger is obviously a new member to the board and deserves our kindness AND attention. I really don't know for sure what the case is with dinger (only he does), but I think it is our responsibility to let him know that he may be in violation of federal laws and to be careful. At this point, though, we should move on and continue to support him in whatever way he may need.

I have just seen to many times on numerous boards, where new members are not only given a heads up on the issue at hand, but are given the third degree over the matter. I would hate to see us lose a member because he/she is now to worried to post anything else because they are afraid they will get the third degree.

Just my .02.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts