Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this from a next-door neighbor. He told me he had a bold action 7.62x39. I asked Cephus if they made such a thing, and he told me not to his knowledge. My neighbor wanted $100 or a day's work for the rifle. I chose the day's work. It had a 4x Weaver scope and a nice leather sling so I figured "what the hay."

After checking it out, we found it to be an Arisaka Type 99 7.7 Jap that had been re-barreled to 7.62x39. It is only 34 1/2" long and very light to carry. And with 7.62x39 ammo there is little recoil. Haven't had much time to play with it yet, but it seems to be very accurate. Probably not worth much according to the books, but Iwas glad to get it anyhow.

The one on the left is my No.1 MkIII 308 Enfield, and the one on the left is the Arisaka. Just put them side by side to show you how short it is. Great brush gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Sounds good.. Many of the old military rifles have been rechamber/barreled to ather calibers..

A few years ago, Sportsmna's Guide offered an 1880's Mauser that was 7.62x39.. Refinished, with a nice stock and sopemounts.. Hell you did'nt have to have a license to order it..

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Interesting. The Arisaka is arguably one of the strongest, and inarguably one of the ugliest, actions ever made. I was suprised by the pic: I was expecting a bastardized Bubba special, but it appears to be a pretty decent-looking weapon, looks like the previous owner did a good job. Congrats.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dzerzhinsky said:
Interesting. The Arisaka is arguably one of the strongest, and inarguably one of the ugliest, actions ever made. I was suprised by the pic: I was expecting a bastardized Bubba special, but it appears to be a pretty decent-looking weapon, looks like the previous owner did a good job. Congrats.
One nice thing the guy did was that he cut the "straight bolt" off and either welded or silver soldered it back at an angle. My guess is that he done this so the bolt handle would miss the scope.

MBadboyz, your second in line. If you want it, you'll have to deal with Cephus.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dzerzhinsky said:
Here ya go Dizzy. Now that Picyard is up I can post a better picture. Like you said, no Bubba fingerprints here.
http://www.picyard.com/main/showphoto.php?photo=1046&size=big&sort=1&cat=500

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Alas, what I get is the dreaded red x, not a pic.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I fixed it. I didn't know you could get the larger pic by clicking on it until WT Sherman told me. Thanks WT. Don't pay attention to the dust. I guess the Red X showed up because I had deleted that pic over at Picyard to allow me to post other pics. It should work now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Very, very nice, Preacher. Very nice optics, too - looks like an older US-made Weaver (K-4?).

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The scope is at least 20 years old according to the previous owner. The only markings on it are as follows:

Weaver
Marksman
4x USA

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not a problem. It'll be there.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO SELL THIS RIFLE OR DOES ANYONE HAVE A CHINESE CONVERSION THEY WOULD BE WILLING TO SELL?--SHAWN IN SC

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First of all, :welcome: to Gunco g4.

And no it's not for sale.:) It's already promised to someone else if I do decide to let it go.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
Wow, talk about bringing something back up from the dead.
This is RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD stuff here.....

Preacher, if you do come off of it............ :)

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
g4331 said:
Hello.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO SELL THIS RIFLE OR DOES ANYONE HAVE A CHINESE CONVERSION THEY WOULD BE WILLING TO SELL?--SHAWN IN SC
Welcome Shawn........I thought I'd just throw out there that I think CZ makes new bolt actions in 7.62x39.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
scheistermeister said:
preach, i have the same type of enfield with the same stock
Is yours 308 or 303??? Mine is 308.

I originally thought mine was a No.1 Mk III. But I've been looking at a couple of books that said the British army took some No. 4 rifles and rebarreled them for 7.62 and called them a L39A1. So I'm not sure if that's what I got or not.

Is there a way to look up the numbers to see for sure???

Or do I just check with the Walking Templarian Gun Encyclopedia???:D:D

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
mines 303. give me a few min and ill dig up the info i found on the one i have.

edit: nm i cant find the site with the info i read before. it said mine was sporterized by a company back in the day

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the welcome,Preacher.

Ok,
thanks for letting me know that the rifle isn't for sale.
Some folks just won't say anything at all.
Any idea how the Chinese converted these?
Did they cut down a 7.7 barrel on both ends and re-ream to 7.62x39?
If they did so, many conversions are on type 38 receivers.
Would the 6.5 and the 7.7 receivers have the same thread measuments?
I have a Canuck Enfield#4 in 7.62x39, it takes single stack AK mags.
you can see it at www.specialinterestarms.com
they make conversion kits starting at $250.00
my rifle is a prototype, it has a montana rifleman 20" barrel. it set me back $700 and i waited a year.
It is rediculously heavy for a carbine but is dead-on.
I would sell it for $1,000 and buy a stainless cz rifle and pay gunsmithing for it to take ruger or AK mags, but i doubt if anyone would be interested.
The jap carbine is light, handy and sort of affordable when it can be found.
My enfield is not.
Also, i require the person that buys my rifle to bow to it, as a lot of effort was put into it.
It is almost a living thing.
God wouldn't like the idolatry,but i wouldn't complain.
Anyone intrested? $1,000 and a bow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts