Gunco Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed from some post that some of you don't care a whole lot for Arlen Specter. Here's a petition you might be interested in. The link below allows you to sign it electronically.

http://www.gopusa.com/activist/petitions/petition.php?petition=specter_chairman

We Want a Strong Leader on the Senate Judiciary Committee
The reelection of President George W. Bush and the increase of 4 Republican seats in the Senate offer Republicans an opportunity to have judicial nominees approved by the full Senate.

Self-proclaimed moderate Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA) is in line to become chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Specter helped kill President Reagan's nomination of Robert Bork to the Supreme Court and that of Jeff Sessions to a federal judgeship.

On November 3, Sen. Specter issued the following blunt warning to the president concerning judicial nominees.

"When you talk about judges who would change the right of a woman to choose, overturn Roe v. Wade, I think that is unlikely. The president is well aware of what happened, when a bunch of his nominees were sent up, with the filibuster. [A]nd I would expect the president to be mindful of the considerations which I am mentioning."

This statement by Sen. Specter indicates he would apply a pro-choice litmus test to the president's nominees and would likely not pass them out of committee if they did not meet that litmus test.

Republicans cannot lose this fight to a moderate Republican. Tell the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee that we demand strong leadership.

To Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee:

We consider approval of President Bush's judicial nominees to be one of the defining issues of our time. Strong conservative leadership will be of the utmost importance.

To that end we urge you not to elect Sen. Arlen Specter as chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Sincerely,

1 - 1 of 1 Posts