Gunco Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my Arsenal Type 3 Receiver in so I could start my AMD-63 build. I got this receiver because I am not very familiar with the AK family and thought I would use some professional help in a critical area. The Type 3 has the trigger guard, mag release and rails already installed and is heat treated/hardened. The instruction booklet that came with it was very informative and step by step.

Because of the thicker material, Arsenal recommends removing 0.6 mm from both sides of the trunions. Since I had planned on doing the milling/grinding myself, I took several measurements to verify how much material to remove. This is what I found: front trunion measured 31.9 mm thick front to back. The receiver measured 31.01 mm at the front inside at the side bends. The rear trunion was 31.5 mm thick and the rear receiver measured 31.03 mm across the bottom at the bend. Using these measurements, I only took 4.5 mm off each side of the front trunion and 2.5 mm off the rear, then test fit them both. Fit up was perfect. I did not have to take any metal off the top receiver rails as recommended because my trunions fit perfectly with a little rap with plastic hammer. The receiver to trunion front edge was flush and no receiver trimming was required. To remove the metal, I used an angle die grinder with a cut off wheel, grinding slowly and taking measurements at 5-6 locations along the grind area to maintain a true surface. I finished up with a diamond whetstone from Harbor Freight to remove any ridges that might be present.

After verifying that the trunions did not require anymore work, I then marked the holes for mounting the front trunion and drilled them out. I WENT THROUGH 6 DRILL BITS DRILLING THE FRONT TRUNION HOLES. The receiver is harder than the trunions and wore out the bits in a hurry. I have since purchased some Cobalt metal bits to drill out the rear trunion holes.

Because I am still waiting for my rivets and last compliant parts to arrive, my build is on hold until then. I plan on mounting the front trunion then locating proper site for the rear trunion and mounting it. If what I got from Arsenal is representative of their product line, then I would recommend Arsenal to everyone.

PICTURES WILL BE POSTED WHEN BUILD COMPLETE

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Arsenal build UPDATE

I have completed my first AK type build. Using an AMD-63 kit in almost new condition (appears unfired), I installed it on the Arsenal Type 3 receiver. After installing the trunions as described above, the rest went like clockwork. Used cobalt drill bits to drill out the rear trunions holes. That made drilling an easy job. I riveted everything together with a rivet set from K-VAR. Very impressed with their quality and service. I bought extras to practice with and just in case I messed up. That was money well spent. My rivet job doesn't look bad but you can tell it was done by a newbie. Made my own bucking bar from an FAL G1 barrel stub with the lug attached. Ground down the lug to fit the front trunion recesses and countersunk the face a tiny bit to aid in locating the rivet. Worked like a champ, but it showed use. I think you could get 2 or 3 builds out of the stub before needing a replacement. My rivet setting tools were purchased on eBay (please no flames) for $10 and fit my impact hammer perfectly. It took about 20 seconds to set each rivet. I set the front trunion rivets first without the bucking tool to make sure the head went into the countersink portion of the trunion.

Barrel installation was fairly easy. I polished the mating surfaces with 1500 grit wet/dry paper, then used my Dremel with the coarse and medium grit polishing pads that look like scouring pads. Chucked the receiver into my vise using the trunion ears to support it, then clamped down good. Oiled the surfaces up good and installed an old barrel nut. Using a big brass faced hammer, gave the barrel a few good whacks. It went on straight and true. Pressed the barrel pin in using the vise.

Had to trim the butt stock so it would fit into the receiver. Used a shop knife for this, and didn't have to take much off. Installed the rest of the hardware, and I am done. One completed AMD-63 rifle. :woot: :woot:

My compliance parts are: Arsenal receiver, TAPCO gas piston, TAPCO single hook FCG. Right now I have a barrel nut on but I am thinking about a brake of some kind. I also have a fine looking set of AK furniture, US made from maple. Something about the blonde wood...... :hyper:

I am going to try and test fire it tomorrow. If all is well, I will post the pics of the finished product then.

If it weren't for the expertise of these files, I would not have tried this project. The fact that it turned out so well is proof that you guys are the best.......THANKS. :notworthy :thankyou:

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
sounds like a nice rifle. I would like to see pictures of it whenever you get time. Do you like the arsenal made receiver?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to the range and test fired it. It held together and function needed work. The TAPCO hammer had different dimensions than the stock hammer which caused the bolt carrier to hang up at the rearward stroke every so often. At first I thought it was the rails but then realized what it was. Changed back to the stock hammer, no problems. I first used the BULGY synthetic mags, but went to used steel mags of unknown make, thinking the mags were the problem. Still need to fire a few more rounds to make sure the kinks are out and that my plastic mags will work. All of my mags have FSE followers and floorplates so putting the hammer back doesn't affect my US count.

Anybody got any recomendations about the FCG. I am going to replace the TAPCO set with something else.

After I get done with tinkering, I will be giving the whole thing a coat of flat black GUN-KOTE.

Pass word is amd63

Sorry about making you sign up for this but it is free photo hosting.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I love this review! I especially like how you apparently ended up taking off a different amount of material from the trunnion area than the manufacturer recommends. Too often people take what the instructions say as gospel without test-fitting things for themselves. Test fit; test fit; test fit.

And this thread gets karma points!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ouch! Hate to hear that.

?The TAPCO hammer had different dimensions than the stock hammer which caused the bolt carrier to hang up at the rearward stroke every so often.?
Ouch! I hate to hear that, I just received a Tapco G-2 set from a group buy and have never used them before. What?s sticking up and in the way of the carrier and can it be stoned or ground down without screwing things up? I have also just won two sets of Red Star adjustable triggers on eBay, anyone out there have any experience with them? I looked them up before bidding and found they sell for $84.99 each. I paid $50 for both and got a one piece vertical front grip also. Are the Red Star sets any good?

·
Registered
109 Posts
tac-40 said:
Sorry about making you sign up for this but it is free photo hosting.
www.hunt101 is good and another worth trying is www.imagetown.net. Free is free though, quality control is out of our hands.

Nice looking rifle though!
I really like the wood pistol grips I've seen on the 63's as opposed to some of the plastic grips on the 65's. Just my opinion but they seem to clean up pretty good. My AK's are a mixture of poly and wood stocks but I do prefer the wood regardless of origin. Guess it's a Commie Thang. :headspin:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What?s sticking up and in the way of the carrier and can it be stoned or ground down without screwing things up?
old gunner

The curve of the face that contacts the bottom of the bolt carrier was different (more round with wider arc). I tried to file a little to change the angle and found that the TAPCO hammer was just case hardened. After I had filed a little off, I started getting hammer follow. The bolt carrier had worn away even more of the hammer. Basically, any filing will cut through and ruin the hammer. I think these hammers are okay for use on other receivers. I noticed that the holes in the Arsenal receiver didn't line up with the templates I downloaded, just a little off, but because everything fit and seemed to work okay, I didn't worry. The TAPCO hammer was probably at the max spec on my install. The trigger pull was phenomenal from the TAPCO FCG. About 4-5 pounds pull, very smooth, and no trigger slap that I could detect in what little firing I did (40 rounds). It was a single hook design. I think I will try the FSE FCG as replacements. I have had good luck with them in building FALS.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
If you need free web space, let me know... I'll put your pics up on my site. I won't make you sign up at all! ;)

I'm only on a DSL line but with all the pics my site contains its not too shabby.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts