Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pour some beers down the sink so you could use the bottle deposit to buy candy?

This ones even better. My Brother's psycho ex girlfriend used to pour out beer and pretend to be drunk so he would fear she was developing a drinking problem over his nasty habbit of disagreeing with her sometimes. I just took 14 empty two liter Mountain Dew bottles back and thought of this for some reason.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I forgot. Michigan still charges a deposit on throw away bottles and cans, right?

We used to scrounge construction sites for returnable pop bottles back when they were reused by the bottlers and worth a couple cents. Get enough and you got a free pop. It was like finding gold.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Custer said:
I forgot. Michigan still charges a deposit on throw away bottles and cans, right?
Yeah. Whenever I go on vacation in Michigan I always drive up and down alleys and looking in dumpsters for pop cans before I leave home. I take em to Michigan and sell them. :D

·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pogo said:
Yeah. Whenever I go on vacation in Michigan I always drive up and down alleys and looking in dumpsters for pop cans before I leave home. I take em to Michigan and sell them. :D
Don't do that. It's a 91 day misdomenor. I'm serious.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Bluedog said:
Don't do that. It's a 91 day misdomenor. I'm serious.
I don't do that, but I like telling people I do. I told some people in Michigan that when I was up there a couple of years ago. I told them that was how I paid for my vacation. :D

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
My Mom and Dad would give me the return money when I was a kid. I would take the cartons of empties in and get the money at the grocery store. It was my job and I got to keep the money for whatever as a 7-8 year old I thought it was big stuff.:D About the time I turned 11 or so the plastic stuff came along and that was the end of that.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
One of my fondest memories as a kid is getting an ice cold creme soda "for free" at Smith's Grocery. Literally a small mom and pop place before convenient stores were invented. Sold baseball cards, too. 5 cents a pack. 6 packs for a quarter. Piece of bubble gum almost the size of the card.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
It was Bernie's market for me.

It was a deli/hardware/grocery/convenience store.

I was broken hearted when it closed because his family didn't keep it running and I assume they couldn't compete.

·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was Earnie and Ethal's for me. Back in the mid to late seventies when our 10 cent deposit law took effect, you could buy stuff with a dime.

As I recall, a 16oz pop was 40+10 for most of my childhood. And a full sized candy bar was 20. Both for 7 bottles.

Today, there are no 16oz bottles but for a 20oz you need 125+10 and 65 for the candy bar, so that's 20 bottles. Oh well, kids are fatter today so they should have to work harder.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I remember riding my bicycle with a basket on it up and down county roads looking for pop bottles that people flung out their car windows. They were only worth 2 or 3 cents, but most candy bars were only 5 cents and some were 10 cents. I'd usually find enough bottles to buy me a bottle of pop and a candy bar or a moon pie. That was really living. :D

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
The only returnables that were around when I was a kid were the ones they used to refill, no deposits back in those days.
The refillables had a .02 bounty on them.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Washington had done away with it's deposits years before my time, but when were were kids we could collect cans and bottles to take to recycling centers for money to spend on crap like videogames, candy, baseball cards, etc.
One thing we liked to do was scour the ditches and ravines for old bottles, and if anyone asked, we'd tell them we were recycling. What we'd actually do is gather up 100 or so bottles and go down to the vacant cul-de-sac where no houses had been built and set ourselves up a shooting gallery, get a handful of other neighbor kids, and go bananas with our BB guns.
:D

·
Registered
286 Posts
I still remember turning in pop bottles for a nickle and a dime for the big ones. Then there was the time they left the gate behind the store open where they stored all the bottles. It did not take them long to figure out what we were up to. At 8 years old or so you figure that nobody has ever done what your doing and you have to be the slickest thing ever for comin' up with it. Well that is until ole' Connie (who owned the store) snatches your young ass up and takes a switch to you right there.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Collecting the pop bottles in Michigan were how my brother, friends and I made our money. We would spend all day collecting around town (days on end), sort them (as some stores would not take certain ones), and save them till we had trash bags full. I can easily say we made a couple hundred dollars during a summer. Now understand, most of this money was spent on good kid type stuff. More pop, candy, cheap toys, BMX bike stuff. Shit, I sure do miss those days.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Bluedog said:
Today, there are no 16oz bottles but for a 20oz you need 125+10 and 65 for the candy bar, so that's 20 bottles.
Actually, when I was down in the Charlotte/Concord NC area for the World 600, they had 16 oz plastic bottles in just about all the convenience stores that we seen. But anywhere else was 20 oz bottles like you said.

Any NC folks on here care to give any input?

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Does anyone remember 32 oz returnable bottles? I can remember 16 oz bottles, but never knew 32 ouncers excisted until I found this hunting one day. I set it beside a 2 liter just to show how big it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Well, I can remember when an 8-ball was a full eighth of an ounce of coke.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I remember those, but they weren't around long before 2 liter plastic.

IMHO, nothing tastes better than a coke from a glass bottle. My father inlaw has one of those old machines that dispenses 8 ounce bottles for a dime. He used to keep it stocked in his basement before the compressor failed. It was actually one of the many prizes Coke gave away on it's 100th anniversary in 1989? Someone he knew won it and then decided a few years ago to get rid of it because it's a montser. Now it sits dormant in my FIL's basement :(

·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But can you remember when "homegrown" was a purjorative?

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Well, I can remember when an 8-ball was a full eighth of an ounce of coke.

Yes, and a "Teener" is exactly half of that. (with an appropriate finders fee deducted.)

Those terms of measure actually apply to any powdery substance that is imported by the government to keep poor people apathetic and to finance "National Security" abroad.

Ive actually notice a pretty sizeable influx in the last six months. Id be accused of wearing tinfoil if I said it might be related to the election.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts