Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alas, it is not.....

Ted Kennedy Proposes Monument to Himself

Teddy Kennedy is raising a reported $3.5 million to pay for an oral history project he conceived that will memorialize his life.

The project is unique in that it will be the first ever oral history of a sitting U.S. senator.

The project will be carried out by the Miller Center for Public Affairs at the University of Virginia, which has created oral histories of President Jimmy Carter and is doing others on presidents George H.W. Bush, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton.

According to the Boston Globe, however, it has never made a senator the subject of a historical study.

The newspaper reported that the Miller Center will interview more than 100 of Kennedy's former and current staff members, colleagues from both sides of the aisle, family and other notable figures who have known him.

Kennedy himself will generously donate 75 hours of his time for talks with the center. Stephen Knott, associate professor at the Miller Center, told the Globe that Kennedy will not control who is interviewed or what questions are asked.

"This is very unusual," historian Michael R. Beschloss told the senator's hometown newspaper. "Even an important senator or president will write a memoir or do some interviews with a ghost writer, and that is basically it," he explained.

Knott promised that the project would not avoid the more unpleasant aspects of Kennedy's life and career. While the questions have not been written yet, historians said they expect that the center would address the Chappaquiddick episode and other nonpolicy-related matters.

"The way we've approached it is that nothing is off-limits," Knott said. "The study is going to cover the whole of his life, including his pre-Senate years and up to the present," Knott told the Globe, which noted that despite the many books, articles and movies that deal with the Kennedy family, Teddy's interviews will probably reveal new information or anecdotes.

And while Knott said Kennedy will have no control over the final product, his funding and heavy involvement in the project gives him an unusual opportunity to create a lasting monument to himself.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His home state will still vote him in after he is embalmed.

Hell, now that I think about it, he already is embalmed.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I wonder if Monica Lewinsky is going to do an oral monument to Bill Clinton.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
Custer said:

Pickled is more like it.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Custer said:

That actually happened here Custer. A Dem candidate was elected 6 months after he died.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Custer said:

If they do it'll prolly be because the Massachusetts GOP will put up some fanatical religious zealot to run against his carcass.

Like that one guy who stated that the best remedy for menstural pain was scripture and prayer. I think Shrub nominated his ass to head the FDA.

:mad:

Ill take an embalmed corpse over a puritan any day of the week. A corpse can't sponsor or vote for anything which damages the Bill of Rights.

Sad thing it is; that our elections have fallen to such a level.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This knee jerk hatred for church goers is almost enough for me to start going back to church after all these years.

Like buying my first AK47, if the bad guys are against it, I must be missing something.

Thanks again, D.B. for all the good tips. But for you, I would not be saving money on ammo at WalMart and I would not have taken a position in Walmart stock. A nice, tidy little profit, I might say.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I think a monument to the memory of Mary Jo Kopechne would be the more suitable thing to do. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Custer said:
His home state will still vote him in after he is embalmed...
Unfortunately that's not far from the truth, However I have never voted for him, and can't see it happening anytime soon.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Preacher said:
I think a monument to the memory of Mary Jo Kopechne would be the more suitable thing to do. Just my 2 cents.

Yer right.

I'd like to have that Oldsmobile that Kennedy drove off the bridge when he was drunk and killed her. Could you imagine what you could sell that for on ebay?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Preacher said:
That actually happened here Custer. A Dem candidate was elected 6 months after he died.
Well, there are people who think that the only good democrat is a dead democrat.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
Well, there are people who think that the only good democrat is a dead democrat.
You forgot to capitalize. Twice.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Seems like when females get neked with the Kennedy klan.......they end up dead to shut them up.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
You forgot to capitalize. Twice.
Just testing to see if you were paying attention.

You passed.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
It has to be the ultimate display of arrogance and egotism. And he's raising the money to do it...as if he couldn't afford it himself. Maybe he knows it's a bad investment.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Custer said:
A nice, tidy little profit, I might say.

Im sure it's nothing compared to the dividends Im receiving from DHL who's graft given to the Shrub Admin has won them a handsome no bid contract in Iraq.

Im 30 and Retired, and netting over six figures. When did you retire?

Gotta love those cuts in the capital gains tax one you are one of the parasites that profits of the toil and consumerism of the lower classes.

:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts