Gunco Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is even scarier!

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-11/1101831663299000.xml

Man sent to prison for friend's gun death

Tuesday, November 30, 2004
[email protected] 388-8564

Donald Thomas Sink joked about killing himself on Dec. 18.

Unintentionally, Robert Ernest Leversee made it happen.

Leversee, 20, of Onondaga Avenue, was sentenced Monday to four to 22 1/2 years in prison on a conviction of manslaughter without malice following a mandatory two-year sentence for weapons felony firearm.

A felon-in-possession-of-a-firearm charge was dropped.

"I don't think this is a case where ... (Leversee) went out to murder a friend," Kalamazoo County Assistant Prosecutor Ken Barnard said after sentencing.

"My theory is the victim, Donald Sink, was joking about killing himself because of some events in his life. The defendant decided to play along. He thought the gun was unloaded.

"He took the gun and said something like, 'If you do it yourself, you'll go to hell. Let me do it.'"

Although the magazine was empty, the small handgun, a .25-caliber Beretta, had one bullet in the chamber.

When Leversee pulled the trigger, the bullet hit Sink in the head.

Sink, who was 35, died three days later.

"He was my friend," Leversee said of Sink while standing before Kalamazoo County Circuit Judge Philip D. Schaefer, before being sentenced Monday afternoon. "I hadn't intended it. It was an accident."

Leversee and others were in the basement of Sink's Kalamazoo Township home when the shooting occurred, police said.

The gun didn't belong to either Sink or Leversee, who, because of two previous felony convictions, was not supposed to touch a firearm. The gun belonged to Denise Jean Curtiss of Kalamazoo Township, who was sentenced in July on a conviction of carrying a concealed weapon in connection with the shooting, Barnard said.

The case presents a hard-learned lesson, Schaefer said.

"No weapon can be presumed harmless," he said.

"It looks like you tried to take the gun away from him (Sink) and it discharged. It looks like you were going on what the decedent said, but it was loaded."

Several members of Leversee's family were in the courtroom but left immediately after the sentencing and were not available for comment.

Sink's family did not attend, but Barnard said, "They were satisfied with the results."

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cephus said:
Yea they didn't blame the gun but they did drop the charge that was in away the bigger of the two.A felon with a firearm that would have assured the sentence of at least more time and it's not just that he is a two time felon so wouldn't this be strike 3
and a life sentence. Somebody correct me if I"m wrong, but this seems like a slap on the wrist. But they want more gun laws and for what they don't use the ones they got.
And as long as they keep slapping wrists, these things are going to continue happening.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
So those little guns actually kill people? I have one of those and Smegma debated me one time that it was practically impossible to kill someone with it. It was a gift from a friend, new in the box. Never been shot either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts