Gunco Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[font=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=+2]Attacking Western values[/size][/font]
[size=-1]Posted: December 29, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern
By Dr. Walter E. Williams
[/size] [font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times] [/font] [font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times][font=Palatino, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times, serif] [size=-1] ? 2004 Creators Syndicate, Inc. [/size] [/font] [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]School boards have recently banned songs and music containing references to Santa Claus, Jesus and other religious Christmas symbols. The New York City school system permits displays of Jewish menorahs and the Muslim star and crescent but not the Christian Nativity scene. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]According to an Associated Press story on Nov. 26, 2004, "A public school teacher is suing his district and principal for barring him from using excerpts from historical documents in his classroom because they contain references to God and Christianity." The historical documents in question are the Declaration of Independence and "The Rights of the Colonists" by John Adams. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times][/font] [font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]Then there's Kandice Smith, an Alabama sixth-grader who was threatened with discipline for exhibiting a cross necklace. Just a few years ago, the city manager of Eugene, Ore., Jim Johnson, banned Christmas trees and holiday decorations with religious themes from public spaces, giving as his reason the need to "put a neutral face on a religious holiday in the workplace." This year, a float proclaiming "Merry Christmas" was banned from Denver's Parade of Lights. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]Under the pretense of the First Amendment's prohibitions against "establishment of religion" and the court's bogus "separation of church and state" interpretation of the same, we're witnessing a part of the ongoing attack on American values. The Constitution's "establishment of religion" clause was written to prevent the formation of anything similar to the official Church of England in the United States. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]So why the attack on religion? Read the Declaration of Independence. You'll read phrases such as: "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights," "Laws of Nature and Nature's God," and "appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world." The vision held by the framers is that our rights come not from government but from a "Creator" or "the laws of nature and of nature's God." That means the purpose and power of government is rightfully limited to protecting our natural God-given rights. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]The idea that government doesn't grant rights is offensive to those who wish to control our lives. Therefore, to gain greater control, the idea of natural rights, God-given rights and Christian values must be suppressed. The idea that rights precede government was John Locke's natural law philosophy, which had a significant influence on our nation's founders, but they chose to refer to natural law as rights endowed by the Creator. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]The attack on Christian ideas and Christian public displays is part and parcel of the leftist control agenda in another way. Certain components of the leftist agenda require that our primary allegiance be with government. As such, there must be an attack on allegiances to the teachings of the church and family. After all, for example, if you want popular acceptance of homosexual marriages, there must be a campaign against church teachings that condemn such practices. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]Emboldened by their successes in the courts and intimidation of public officials, leftists will no doubt make other demands ? there's no logical end point except complete Christian capitulation. There are Christian symbols and exhibits in many Washington, D.C., government buildings that will come down, such as: Moses with the Ten Commandments inside the U.S. Supreme Court, George Washington praying in the Capitol Building, Abraham Lincoln's speech mentioning God carved inside the Lincoln Memorial. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]Religious programming on the radio and television will come under attack. After all, there's Federal Communications Commission permission to use the "public airwaves." If leftists say they have no such intention to go after television, radio and other public expressions of Christianity, what they really mean is that they haven't softened us up enough yet. I'm not quite sure of just how we should respond to the ongoing attack on Christianity and American values, but we'd better do something quickly.[/font]

[font=palatino, times new roman, georgia, times]Dr. Walter E. Williams is the John M. Olin Distinguished Professor of Economics at George Mason University in Fairfax, Va.[/font]

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Even I will agree that there is truth to what this article says. The First Amendment grants us two rather opposed kinds of religious freedom: The right to practice our religion as we wish, and also the right to not have another's religion imposed upon us.
In protecting the one kind of religious freedom, the other is often put under attack.

I'd want to chase down that story about a teacher getting in trouble for using the Declaration of Independence in class, though, before I put too much credence into it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Geeze, it was all over the news...don't tell me you have the common sense to not listen to the news???

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Good way to state it, SD. Yep, those are the two conflicting aspects. There's a third one, too, as I think of it: The right of taxpayers to not have to pay for it.

Freedom of religion: I've got no problem accommodating Christians and Muslims by - unlike in france - allowing crosses and headscarves to be worn in school. At the same time, I draw the line someplace well becore accommodating religions that have sacramental human sacrifice.

Freedom from religion: No fair embarassing eight year-olds into reciting "under God" like all the other kids reciting the Pledge of Allegience. Anyone who thinks that's really voluntary clearly has forgotten what it's like to be eight years old.

Don't make the taxpayers pay for it: Taxpayers' money should not go to religious organizations who deny services to segments of those taxpayers whose money they're getting. No problem funding Catholic hospitals that serve non-Catholics. Big problem funding Boy Scouts who won't accept those who won't recite the Scout pledge of duty to God.

Although do have to admit that an awful lot of this is a tempest in a teapot and would be best resolved by folks just chilling out a bit.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
We also had a thread on the subject of The Declaration of Independece being banned:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2930&highlight=Declaration+Independence

I think not studying The Declaration of Independence because of the word God is down right rediculous. In American History we studied about the KKK. Doesn't mean that I believe in their ways, but it's part of our history whether we like it or lump it. We also had slavery at one time, but studying about it doesn't support it. Nor do I consider studying a document that mentions God to be forcing religous views down someones throat.

And I think it will be a sad day when we have to rewrite the history books to keep people from being offended. I don't want to see any more Presidents assassinated but that doesn't mean that we can't study about JFK. History is taught for us to learn from the past and we shouldn't change it for a few whiners.

It's history, we can't change it, end of story!

·
Angry White Man
3,379 Posts
This is what happens when people don't have enough personal crap (good or bad) happening in their own lives. They have too much time on their hands, thus giving them the opportunity to piss and moan and attempt to push their own way of thinking on to others.

Whatever happened to simple concepts like live and let live and minding your own? Did people 50-100 years ago fret and put so much effort in trying to revoke our history or change the national values of the majority?

Maybe we need a little more catastrophe and starvation in this country to get peoples heads out of the asses of their neighbors.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Good one Retvet and it's exactly how I feel about it.

People that grew up in the first 70 years of the last century manged to do alright then in the 70's we started to decide that certain things were offensive or un-PC.

It doesn't bother me that people are gay and I'm a Christian. I have a Gay friend who came to this country from a very repressed country and I'm cool with that.

I don't care if smeg or SD are not Christians or don't beleive in God. They can be that way and we can debate it here.

There is a lot that I and my wife tolerate from society as Christians, but I do not see tolerance for my right to be Christian from orgs like the ACLU and mainstream media.

People like me and many in my family are labled repressive, facist, and intolerant?

It's all projection IMHO from the looney left. Sure, there are extremes on the right, but why are the 2 extreme attacking each other when most people fall in the middle?

Easy, it's class warfare and someone has to perpetuate it since race is becoming less of an issue.

I say live and let live

1 - 9 of 9 Posts