Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put this message in Home Builders Library, but now see it really belongs here.

I have ( thats right, actually have!) one of Wayne Morgans receiver flat bending jigs. While an ingenius piece of equipment, it does need a little tweaking to be acceptable.

Does anyone else here have one so we can exchange some ideas on modification of this thing to make it work more effectively?

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Waiting for mine too but I ordered late. I really like the results gough1 got with a metal bending breake. I wonder what is the smallest brake you could bend with and get good results?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Chiroone said:
Put this message in Home Builders Library, but now see it really belongs here.

I have ( thats right, actually have!) one of Wayne Morgans receiver flat bending jigs. While an ingenius piece of equipment, it does need a little tweaking to be acceptable.

Does anyone else here have one so we can exchange some ideas on modification of this thing to make it work more effectively?
Hey Chiroone
Yes I have mine, but you probably already new that from BIY I :grumble:. I e-mailed Wayne about sending mine back and getting one that was not tweaked and he was more than willing to do so, but I have not sent it in yet. My jig, besides being too wide overall, is tapered by about .050". After measuring up a few receivers and bent metal blanks I've decided that I need to weld up my own jig and set it at about .005" over minimum spec or 1.335. 1.250 inside spec plus .040x2= 1.330+.005=1.335". I am also considering hammering the edges of the receiver just a little bit to start the bend BEFORE I stuff it into the jig. Now as far as the top rails go, I think it would be better to build a set up similar to what is used to do the initial bends. Make a jig for the inside dimensions that has the correct taper in it. Make a tapered box jig to match and then stuff the receiver into is side ways and it should roll those upper rails right on over. Anyhow, let me know what you think and maybe we can brain storm something. In the mean time I picked up 4 of the Tapco flats for $15.00 ea. w/o rails.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Grendeljaeger said:
Waiting for mine too but I ordered late. I really like the results gough1 got with a metal bending breake. I wonder what is the smallest brake you could bend with and get good results?
The cheap one from Harbor Freight has reportedly worked but they had to bolt pieces of bar stock to the sides to get good squared bends. Otherwise the bends are more round than you'd probably prefer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=39103

For up to 16 gauge :D

I figure for $20 I've at least got to try this one out! I have plenty of scrap metal laying around so it should be no problem to add reinforcing plates, wouldn't you think?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was hoping for this

I have one of Waynes Jigs and I'm not unhappy with it but it definetly needs a little work. The bends are a little too round. The front vertical pice of steel on the rail bending jig was welded on lopsided, one side was app. .030 higher than the other. I also agree that hammering the rails over is not the way to go, they wind up distorted. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
hcpookie, I went ahead and bought the $159 brake(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35132
) as I was very impressed with gough1's work, I really like those crisp corners! I hope it's big enough to do a good job. I figured if it doesn't work I'll just send it back. I ordered my 12 ton a frame press at the same time and the sales lady talked me into their discount club(or catalog) for $20. I saved about $54 even after spending the $20 by joining 'cause the 12 ton press was $109 but with the discount it was $79 and the $159 brake was $114 with the discount. I'll let you know how it works when I get it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have one and it bends the flats fairly well. While the bends are slightly rounded, I don't think its anything to worry over. Instead of hammering the top (carrier) bends with a hammer I used a piece of flat steel about inch and a half wide over the entire lenth and hammered the flat piece of steel and it came out fine. The trigger hole was off slightly, probably due to the somewhat rounding of the bends, but bend can be tweeked and the trigger hole too, with a bucking bar and a hammer with a smooth face. Something like doing body work on a car. Haven't built a rifle yet because I'm trying to find a decent kit for a good price. Don't want one of the amd 65 kits with the short barrels. Just a plain Jane kit. Anyone know where to find them?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts