Gunco Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
He also did one on the updated MPi81 version, they relocated the front sling swivel to the bbl nut and replaced the sling operated charging handle with a finger operated one. Other difference was the addition of a second short buffer spring at the rear, designed to up the rate of fire over the slower '69 version. The one in Ian's original video on top shows the lack of the spring on that one, but every '69 parts kit I have seen to date has had the second spring. They were also cut up new guns, so I suspect when Steyr upgraded the design they also added them to any of the older models they still had on the shelf.

Since they are not marked as to model, I also wondered if they didn't just convert existing guns to the new spec instead of making new ones. All they would of had to do was swap out 3 parts and add the spring. I can see them adding the spring first, making enough of the other (expensive) parts to convert a substantial number as a test, and when those didn't sell either just dropped the project and eventually sold them all off for pennies on the dollar.

I have always wanted one of these, the damn parts kits have skyrocketed in price. IIRC, they were initially offered for $99. I thought when they went up to $199 they were going to have them for a while. how wrong I was!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Yeah, but these are insane. This guy sold a kit for $1600! At one time a post sample live gun was only $500. Another kit is listed currently at $2K.

Looks like he found an '81 charging handle and other small parts for it from a second kit. Note also the lack of a sling swivel on the bbl nut indicating it is a '69. Nice melting of the rear sight where it was rewelded too. Dunno why his description states it was torch cut, the cuts are obviously made with a chop saw, as were the original kits. This was obviously rewelded at some point, one assumes as a post sample.

Despite what Ian says about he '81 being more numerous, in US imported parts kits anyway the '69 was much more common. They also included the saw cut front and rear receiver sections, the few '81 kits I have seen for sale had no receiver sections at all. I always thought they were simply post sample '81s that were stripped for parts kits when the whole gun wouldn't sell.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not being a highly skilled builder, I just stick to AK's kits some of which I squirreled away when they were less expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts