Gunco Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard on NPR about a new company in Los Angeles, "Autopilots". The company has a fleet of mini motor-scooters and when you're too smashed to drive you give them a call and a person comes out on a scooter, puts it in the trunk of your car, and drives you home. Base price is $30, by the time you're home the cost apparently is about the same as had you taken a cab.

You can make reservations if you have plans for getting smashed, and apparently a suprisingly large number of folks do just that.

Pretty clever.

Apologies to aviator.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Anything that takes a drunk off the street is a good idea. Hope it works.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Someone will stop it because they are not licensed to do this.

Try starting your own cab service from an airport or downtown area.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Custer said:
Someone will stop it because they are not licensed to do this.

Try starting your own cab service from an airport or downtown area.
I have no idea what kind of license would be required, but apparently they've got whatever L.A. is requiring because they're not exactly operating as an underground outfit. I should think they have a rather astonishingly huge liability insurance policy, though.

You raise an interesting point, though: Betcha a quarter the cab companies in L.A. are looking for a way to close them down.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I am surprised someone has not come up with those torpedo tube sleeping quarters they offer in Japan.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Custer said:
I am surprised someone has not come up with those torpedo tube sleeping quarters they offer in Japan.
Me, too, although I think something a bit more accommodating to Western tastes would have to be offered. But I've been stuck overnight in airports on more than once occasion and would have gladly paid for minimal sleeping accommodations.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Custer said:
Want to start a business?

Der..." Apologies to aviator."......yeah right. I was sucked in.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
aviator said:
Want to start a business?

Der..." Apologies to aviator."......yeah right. I was sucked in.
Aviator
When you're flying and the weather gets so bad that the Autopilot bails out then you know you're in deep kimchee. :)

·
6,361 Posts
Believe it or not, my small plane does have an auto pilot and it does come extremely handy during rough turbulence or when nature calls.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aviator said:
Want to start a business?...
Absolutely. Can you fly under the radar to Columbia and back?

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
aviator said:
Believe it or not, my small plane does have an auto pilot and it does come extremely handy during rough turbulence or when nature calls.
Aviator, is your Avionics maintenance/repair work very expensive????

·
6,361 Posts
DorGunR said:
Aviator, is your Avionics maintenance/repair work very expensive????
Yeap, but I do what I can myself, as far as installations, ant. replacement and so forth, just the transponder cert. is abt $150.00 down here. And my brother has an AP license so we do repairs ourselves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts