Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is my new 1930 Hex reciever Mosin Nagant. Being new to Mosins I leaves me with little to compare to. However, the gun is all matching numbers and the bore looks great. I hope to get to the range soon.

I was hoping for a little nicer furniture but oh well. Still a very nice piece and I would do it again. My friend purchased one as well. He did not pay for hand select or Hex. His rifle looks just a nice with better looking furniture.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The going price for the 91/30 is $49.95. That includes an unissued sling, oiler, and ammo pouch. I paid $10 extra for Hex reciever and another $10 for hand select. Shipping is $10.

Two co-workers ordered Mosins at the same time. I will try and get some pics of them posted next week.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Can't complain for anything under $100 bucks these days, as long as it shoots..

Great looking rifle..I need to order a few someday soon..

What is the deal about the hex rec.? Are these older???

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mike26038 said:
Can't complain for anything under $100 bucks these days, as long as it shoots..

Great looking rifle..I need to order a few someday soon..

What is the deal about the hex rec.? Are these older???
Disclaimer: I am not an expert or anywere close. Just passing along what I recall reading :smile:

The Hex recievers are prewar production. During wartime, Russia was trying to make these as fast as possible. One of the ways they found to cut time was to machine the reciever round rather than hexagonal. Functionally they are the same. I paid extra for the Hex just because I wanted something older. Mine is dated 1930 were as my buddies from Aztec (no Hex) is 1938.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going from the one I ordered compared to the coworkers which came from Aztec. The Hex has cleaner metal work. The non-Hex had cleaner furniture.

I did not look at the bores of the others, but the bore in mirror like. Which ever you chose, I would pay the extra and get hand select.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts