Gunco Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The comment that struck me was : "Kids aren't illegitimate. They just have sperm donors who aren't being their fathers."

Really sad.

Blacks offer mixed reaction to James' assertions
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/local/10327111.htm ^

Blacks offer mixed reaction to James' assertions

Not all would disagree, but commissioner is no Bill Cosby, says pastor

CRISTINA BOLLING AND KEN GARFIELD

Staff Writers

Karen Giles is a 35-year-old black single mother from Bill James' district. Was the Mecklenburg County commissioner talking about her when he called the city's urban core "a moral sewer full of promiscuity that leads to illegitimate kids ..."?

Giles thinks so. And she's mad.

"Tell him to trade places with me for a week, and play catch-up on my bills. See how he likes that," she said. "And show me how he can deal with raising a 15-year-old son and a 6-year-old son and juggle jobs and still maintain a house."

But then she struck a rather James-ian note:

"Kids aren't illegitimate. They just have sperm donors who aren't being their fathers."

Reaction among the county's black residents to James' comments was equally complex, as people Thursday chewed over the statements at church meetings and restaurants, in car pools and business gatherings.

Some called for James to apologize and demanded that other Republicans denounce his remarks.

Others thanked James in hopes that his words might bring an outraged community together to deal with its problems.

And a few said they agreed with the issues James raised -- even the way he raised them -- and called for more frank talk.

James defended his remarks Thursday: "For 40-something years, we have ignored the plight of what some call the urban underclass. ... It's the racism of neglect, where you ignore an issue and hope it goes away."

Yet talk of a group's morals can draw volatile responses.

In May, Bill Cosby hurled a political fireball when he spoke about the lack of parenting and education among lower-class blacks. But some interviewed Thursday said James' comments strayed far from Cosby's, and not just because James is white.

"Bill Cosby has affirmed the black community," said the Rev. Claude Alexander, senior pastor at predominately black University Park Baptist Church. "The critique that he issued comes from a different place than Bill James'."

Local black activist John Minter said James' attack on the black community's morals bothered him the most. "If you look at it from a moral standpoint, take a middle-class woman who gets pregnant and has an abortion. Is she any more moral than a 13-year-old who gets pregnant and has a baby?" he said.

"I would argue there is just as much immorality outside the inner-city. It's just a question if you can pay to get yourself out of it."

But Charles Jackson, a black UNC Charlotte graduate and east Charlotte resident who teaches in Kannapolis, said black leaders are "using (James) as a scapegoat."

"We should be creating neighborhood initiatives, fatherhood initiatives, mentoring initiatives. Our black leaders don't want to get involved in those things.

"I think the guy is right."

Laura McClettie, president of Mecklenburg County's black Democratic caucus, said James' vocal opposition to Sunday voting inspired more blacks to vote.

In the same way, she thanked James for harnessing energy in the black community again, this time out of anger over his e-mails.

"What I think he does is bring the attention and awareness level up higher than it is, and it gets more people mobilized and involved in taking a stand," she said.

An interracial group of 20 pastors meeting Thursday at Covenant Presbyterian Church to plan service projects talked about organizing a group to worship Sunday at Calvary Church, which James has attended. A decision on whether to go could come today.

Mecklenburg Ministries, a coalition of 70 congregations, called James' comments "a hard-hearted act of racism."

"At stake is Commissioner James' moral integrity. And if this community -- people of all ethnicities, faiths, classes and values -- does not hold him accountable, so is ours."

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Too much money to be made screwing those people. Someday historians might look at the post civil rights era as more shameful than slavery.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Ms. Giles is rather missing the point when she blasts James by citing the hardship of being a single parent: That's the point James is making.

Myself, I don't think breeding requires marriage - and think that getting married because you got the lady pregnant is pretty dumb. But do think that morality requires not just ditching her and the kid, and that minimal intelligence requires not getting a woman pregnant in the first place if you don't plan on being dad.

A few years ago I was talking with a former lover, and in the course of the conversation spoke of how I'd never had kids - while I have been a bit of a libertine - because I really didn't want to saddle myself with child-support payments nor with the responsibility of helping her to raise the child. Whereupon she pointed out that I lived in a different world than most men, that most men simply shrugged those responsibilities off [something that I literally couldn't think of doing]. Sad. Oh, and she was speaking of men in general, too, not inner-city men of color. She's a very savvy lady and, alas, I fear she was - and continues to be - right.

But I sure wouldn't want to go back to before the sexual revolution, when having a child out of wedlock stigmatized both the mother and the child forever. But would like to go back to when it seemed more folks exercised common sense and simple honor, if not traditional morality.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, when you have a acceptance of a "culture" that honors the ongoing production of numerous childern, starting at ridiculously early ages via a wide array of temporary liasons coupled with a governement reward system, you are going to have a cesspool.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
Well, when you have a acceptance of a "culture" that honors the ongoing production of numerous childern, starting at ridiculously early ages via a wide array of temporary liasons coupled with a governement reward system, you are going to have a cesspool.
We're in agreement on that one, Custer.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Democracy has spoken.

Custer said:

I believe it should be refered to,more correctly,as the:"Demokratik Plantation System."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts