Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to put the barrel back in the trunnion on an AMD65 build?
I have read some threads, and some say use a hammer, and some use a press (I have not recieved my Xebec jig yet). What is the best/easiest way to get it back in?
thanks, T M

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I think pookies web site explains in detail a couple different ways of re-installing the barrel. I used the press, and did just fine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I used Xebec's press kit and it worked like a dream, I pressed it in a little too far the first time and fortunately I got one of the last press kits that No Beard was selling and it comes with a cool little brass tool to push the barrel back in the other direction.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I agree! The easiest way is to "press" the barrel back in. Some of the guys have used simple "I" beam type clamps or bottle jacks. The thing is: you will have to watch that the rear sight block is lined up with the front trunion and that you don't press the barrel0 too deep into the trunion. You can simply press the barrel back out and "do over" if you need to.

I made a pair of block like Xebec's and clamped them to my AMD 65 front gas block/barrel. It worked like a charm! I wish that I had taken picture of the machining steps!

Good luck!

Yours,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Since July I have built 3 amd-65's, 1 AKMS and 1 AKM. These were all screw builds. I removed and replaced the trunnions on all of them. To remove all I used was vise, a stack of penny's taped together, a 5/8" x 6 bolt and a BIG hammer. To replace the barrel in the trunnion I first polished the barrel with fine emory cloth and the interior of the trunnion. Lined up the sight block with the trunnion by eye and holding the barrel in my left hand, hit the trunion with a dead blow hammer until the retaining pin holes lined up. Insert pin and drive home. Easy as pie. The way I feel about this hobby is the more money I spend on fancey tools, the less money I have for boooolets.
BD P.S. built my on jig to bend flats on 555th's design, total investment 30 bucks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts