Gunco Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
There are some which present the toughest problem in an AK build.

I try to get it started with a hammer. A big one. The forces required in a press to get that pin moving without the shock of a hammer blow are enormous.

I use a piece of wood routed to fit and place it on the concrete floor.
A wooden bench absorbs too much of the blow.

The center of the pin is dimpled to fit a punch held in vice grips.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used some very bad words while trying to remove the pin from my AMD-63 barrel. The pin in the 63, is longer than the hole, so when you try to hammer it out, it expands. I finally had to drill one side of the pin down flush with the trunnion. Then it was easy to knock out. When I reinstall it, it will be the same length as the hole in the trunnion.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I dont know why all the ones I take out are easy to do. I used the method that HCpookie described on his website. Came out very easy...with bench vise and chopped off screw shaft.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a hell of a time with one! I said a lot of choice words...some I didn't even know came to mind!!!

This is what I was told by a builder at Global Trades. Drill it out(I would recommend a Tung/Carb bit). Tap the remainder out. Buy a new one.

I spent 3 days trying to hammer a pin out. I had it out within a half hour with the drill method!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I also soak the trunion/barrel assembly in WD 40. I agree with Winn (the Sage) that it really takes a nasty blow to get some of them started. Jack

·
Registered
24 Posts
For the smackers,

Which side do you whack from? I always heard from the left, since the pin is tapered. I tried it from both ends. What I got was a smashed thumb, a broken hammer handle, some lost drive punches, a few spilt beers and a lot of cursing. Thats why I just drilled it out!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I use the 20 ton press (best investment yet) and the 2 that I've removed (AMD-63 and AK-74) just pushed out very easily. You can feel a little resistance starting to build-up on the press and then they just push out....no problems, no noise, no bruised/smashed fingers and no BFH (I'm not good with a hammer). I soaked one with "Kroil" and the other I didn't soak at all, no differance.

After hearing all the trouble these pins can be I was surprised at how easy they came out. Maybe I was just lucky with the 2 I did or maybe it was the press. All I know is with that press there haven't been any problems removing/installing barrel pins, barrels, front signts or gas blocks.

If I didn't have the press, I would without a doubt slugging away at it with the BFH or using a BIG vise to push it out.

As far as the pins being tapered, the ones I've done had no taper at all, just a straight pin.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
I use the 20 ton press (best investment yet) and the 2 that I've removed (AMD-63 and AK-74) just pushed out very easily. You can feel a little resistance starting to build-up on the press and then they just push out....no problems, no noise, no bruised/smashed fingers and no BFH (I'm not good with a hammer). I soaked one with "Kroil" and the other I didn't soak at all, no differance.

After hearing all the trouble these pins can be I was surprised at how easy they came out. Maybe I was just lucky with the 2 I did or maybe it was the press. All I know is with that press there haven't been any problems removing/installing barrel pins, barrels, front signts or gas blocks.

If I didn't have the press, I would without a doubt slugging away at it with the BFH or using a BIG vise to push it out.

As far as the pins being tapered, the ones I've done had no taper at all, just a straight pin.
How in the world do you position and support the barrel/trunnion assmeble to press it out? An Xebec jig?

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Gun-nut said:
For the smackers,

Which side do you whack from? I always heard from the left, since the pin is tapered. I tried it from both ends. What I got was a smashed thumb, a broken hammer handle, some lost drive punches, a few spilt beers and a lot of cursing. Thats why I just drilled it out!
I work from the left, however I've still got a pin in a shot out 30 year old RPK that I can't remove for love or money.

Looks like your drill method is the bigger hammer!:sick:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
How in the world do you position and support the barrel/trunnion assmeble to press it out? An Xebec jig?
Yes, I waited till I could buy one of Xebec's jigs and then never looked back. I bought the setup for all AK's and the Romak 3(I think that covers everything). The jig does everything concerning the barrel. And it makes the barrel removal/installation a piece of cake (but you do need that press). I didn't even know how it worked, but everyone said it's the cat's meow for doing barrel work so I bought it. After I received it I learned just how easy it was to use.

As you've read in this forum there are many ways to remove/install the barrel and if I didn't have the money for the proper tools I would be trying some of them. But like I stated above, I'm not good with a hammer. So I look to other alternatives before getting out the BFH.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Glad you can afford all the tools. I sure would like to give something like this a try. I've found it is really difficult to use a press and try to do most of the barrel removal/installation by yourself. You always need something to stabilize it or keep it from bending or bucking over. I resorted to the hammer and haven't really had any problems yet. How much do you have left on your -63?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've got quite a lot left to do, as I'm sure you noted in my other post. The thing is, I'm in no rush to get it finished. I still need to practice with my spot welder to see if the tips I re-worked will do the job. But I don't see any real problems (except operator error). And it's not like I'm the first to do this....In fact your "WAY" ahead of me as I remember seeing your pictures.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
TK,

I've been at it off and on for the last 3 or so months. Its turning into an eternal first build. But let me tell you, the next will be 10X easier. I'm almost looking forward to starting my second than finishing my first. I'm sure once you get moving on it, you will really make some progress.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts