Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tryed to post a reply to the "barrel alternative" but it won't post. Any way This is about my previous build. giving me a lot of problems here latley.
Since my trunion was installed before I received my kit. The trunion is new,
And there was no hole drilled for the pin. Well, I did'nt have a d. press at the time so I used a standard drill. The hole came out off center. It's actually lower by almost an 1/8''. What woould you suggest that I try to do to fix this problem?
The barrel is all ready pressed that's the tricky part.
Thanks,
-shadow-

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
It should'nt hurt anything so long as you didnt drill into the chamber, just wont look as nice as it could. Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BARREL PIN?

Steelcore,
My ex ol' ladie took my camara. Hopefully I'll be getting a new one for x- mas. When I drilled it I failed to mention. That the hole is 1/8" below the pin channel in the barrel. I did'nt drill the hole with the barrel pressed, I drilled before I pressed hoping that it would still be ok. So I need to correct the top of the hole so the pin will fit. Could I maybe use a smaller pin? Say like the shank of an annield drill bit? like going from a 9/32" to a 1/4" for example? Would this be of any questions harm.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, As long as a hardened steel pin is pressed with an extreme amount of pressure. Should'nt it be ok?
Thanks,
-Shadow-

·
Registered
6 Posts
The correct way would be to get another trunnion and start over. That would be a lot of work and you would probably wind up screwing up your receiver. At this point if I were you and if you are sure your headspace is correct, I would have the barrel welded to the trunnion by a competent welder. It won't take much more than just a little bit at the front of the trunnion where the barrel goes in it. I have seen a lot of weld builds that have this done and have not seen any problems. There will still be room to press on your rear gas block/cover hinge. Then you can cut your pin into and push it in from both sides as it will only be for cosmetic purposes anyway. Any attempts to use a smaller pin or some other means as you were talking about would just result in an unsafe firearm.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Why in the hell would you want to drill the trunnion without the barrel in it? Everything you described in your post sounds dangerous and I dont like the welding idea either the weld could break because that area of the rifle takes a pounding with every round, welding the trunnion makes it hard/brittle. Get a new trunnion press the barrel in , headspace it , drill it and pin it, if you weld the trunnion it will be so hard you cant drill it, ask me how I know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The man is asking for help, not an ass chewing. If you don't have something positive to say then STFU. The post also says how to do it correctly. I guess you've never seen a weld build. I've seen plenty and just happen to have one with about 10000 rds down it and NO problems. The key word there was competent welder. A small weld at the bottom,top and sides of the barrel/trunnion will not hurt anything and will not generate enough heat up at the pin area to hurt anything. After welding you're not going to be doing any drilling ANYWAY. And if you do its just a little bit harder NOT impossible with Cobalt bits. I guess I could have just called him a DA and tell him to throw the whole thing away and start over but I bet hes got about $400 in that krink kit.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
better to waist 400 dollars than end up hurt by some crack-pot advice about using unproven and unsafe welding practices to cobble together some half-ass death trap. I never said throw away the whole thing only the trunnion. So you STFU and learn to read.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally received my mail after the X-mas holiday.
My intentions of welding were not ment to be the trunion to the barrel. I know that would be very dangerous all though I've seen it done like "Gunny" said.

Let me be a little more specific.
I drilled the hole before pressing the trunion so that I could see the pin channel in the barrel when I pressed it. Hoping that if the pin channel lined up with the hole, there would be chance of the headspace to be correct when checked. When I received my trunion There was a starter hole on each side of the trunion, I drilled on both sides equally to try and prevent slipage in the cavity of the pin channel. Also to prevent from over drilling into the barrel. Well, It did'nt work as I hoped. The hole on one side lines up real good. But it tappers slightly down on the other side. There is not very much material removed on the trunion. It's just that the pin is to thick becouse of the slight downward tappering of the hole on one side.
I guess what I was trying to ask is, If the head space checks out ok. Couldn't I just redrill the hole where it would line up with the pin channel and press the pin? I can dress the hole up later. It's the saftey factor that I was worried about.
When I asked about the welding, I was talking about welding up the hole entirely than...Redrilling the pin hole. Not welding the trunion. I do not have a camara so I dont have pics. So I guess it is extremely easy for someone to be mislead in text. Sorry my fault.
The reason that I choose to post on here is becouse of the great wealth of friendly information this site has. I am by no means an expert, But I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in certain areas of the Ak build. One day someone may need advise in an area that I aquire. That may also be a post that I choose to over look becouse of a persons demeanor in a reply to a simple thread. I'm going to continue to address each and every reply as in a adult manner.
I very much understand the responsibiltys of assembling or dissasembling a fire arm. I would in no way do anything stupid to harm my self or others. It's our own judgement call, on what is the final decision. So I'll leave it at that.
Thanks everyone.......And HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
-Shadow

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
ok Shadow this is what I suggest, 1st headspace your barrel and trunnion then drill it out for an oversize barrel pin, and pin it. This should work just fine provided that the over size pin covers the area that you mis-drilled (sorry about the harsh tone someone thought I was using) It was never ment to be an ass-chewing, I just could'nt figure out why you would do that. Now I know. Over size barrel pins can be made out of drill rod stock or bought from Global Trades. http://www.globaltrades.com, I hope this helps and clears things up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts