Gunco Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so this is my first build im building an amd65 screw build and i threaded the front trunion and i only have like two threads that catch seems too sketchey to put it together like that so i want to remove the barrel and tap with a reg tap so i can have more thread engagement but will i have headspace issues the kit i bought is a matching numbers kit in great shape i dont mind checking headspace and i cant see how it woulkd change by pressing the barrel but weirder things could happen

p.s this is the best site i have found thanks for all your help:thankyou:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i was using a homemade botom tap well i guess i will buyone today and trythat seems a whole lot eiser than removing the barrel

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope rivet pices still in there is there space between the rivet and the barrel i thought i was start ing to go in to the barrel my holes are .190 deep or so ill try to remove the rivets

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yeah, Your going to have to remove the remainder of the rivets in order to get a good grab for the screw to seat correctly. Just pick drill using small bits making sure not to drill the barrel and pick some more. It's a real nerving thing to do but the end result will be a more secure build. If you continue to tap against the rivets, the tap will end up backing off and the threads will be no longer usefull. Just be patient. and make sure your tap is straight up and down before going further. I cannot stress enough how much lube is needed will tapping....Use a lot. If the tapp breaks, Than it's a real pain in the ass to remove. Not to mention ruining the threads for removal.
Believe me I've done it twice. Just go slow back off and every now and again take the tap out and clean the teeth.
I'll be glad to walk you through it if needed.
Hope this helps,
-Shadow-

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Believe me I've done it twice. Just go slow back off and every now and again take the tap out and clean the teeth.
I'll be glad to walk you through it if needed.
Hope this helps,
-Shadow-

This is very important for you to do. I broke off a tap in the front trunion and it took me forever to get it out with the Dremel. You can make your own bottoming tap by just cutting a regular one with a hack saw. If you dont feel comfortable with your threads, remove the barrel pin and take out the barrel from the trunion and tap it that way. I have done 4 screw builds and on a couple of them I got in a hurry and screwed them up. If that happens, just use a heli-coil. They work really well as long as you can get a deeper thread on the hole. If you have any other questions PM me, Ill be online til 11pm tonight.
Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i managed to get the front trunion all drilled and tapped now i need to form the receiver im using one of thoes lazercut and bend ones well the bad news is i broke a tap in the rear trunion so i got to remove that cant wait till i get to shoot this thing is there a good step by step for the internals like trigger and srrings never seen th inside of an ak before

1 - 9 of 9 Posts