Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I spent a bit of my morning bending a flat.

I screwed up doing it, so I have some new flats coming so I can try again. I have a few coming just in case actually... heh....

I was using one of Stickerman's jigs. I think I bought the first one he sold... so it didn't have a few of the updated pieces I'm reading about on the boards. No biggie. I put it under a drill press put a couple of holes in it to help with the lining up. It was cake really. But I see know where I didn't set it up completely correct, and didn't flatten out the bottom nicely. I've since fixed it, but I'll try again.

ANYHOW... Sorry, rambling.

I'm doing all this without a parts kit gun. So here's my question. What should I get? I'm seeing guns that were on a milled or stamped receiver. Can I put a kit that was once milled on this stamped receiver? Does it make a difference?

Basically I want to make sure I purchase something that's going to work best. I think of this more as a learning experience, and the actual outcome isn't THAT important, but I'd like the gun to work.

I have my MAADI MISR to look upon and see if I'm screwing up, but that's about it.

So any suggested kits to start with, or does it not matter.

Thanks in advance everyone, I lurk more then type, and after reading this lengthy message, you're all probably glad I don't type more :)

Painthappy

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
You need a stamped kit as they are made for a sheet metal receiver. A milled kit could work, but you would need a mill or other tools to modify it. No need to do that since stamped kits are what you need and they are availble.

AMD's are good as well as some of thie Hungarian and Polish Stuff. Just make sure you get a stamped kit.

Don't forget to sign up for our contest! You might win a stamped AMD65 kit!

·
Registered
681 Posts
The only milled kit that I know of which would work would be the thumbhole Bulgy SLR-type from Centerfire. Fitting the stock would take some imagination, but the barrel is a standard stamped type, 23mm press fit. They are gorgeous kits, absolutely brand new (I have one), but if this is your first, stick to a nice AMD or something along that line. Just my 2 centavos.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies... I think I'll be going for an AMD-65 or a MAK-90 to hack away at. Really learning a lot about heat treating, rivets, and welding. Really good learning experience.... not a cheap one, but it's worth the fun (and aggrevation) :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
whats involved in changing over the SLR SKShunter ive been eyeballing those kits for awile just replaceing the front trunnion and rear trunion and rear stock
if i bought a standard 23 mm trunion then press it had it head spaced . any modifications need to be made before i can press it . can those mak 90 kits be done or do the have to have the threads turned down first

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The AMD-63 was my first build and it was pretty straight forward. I'm kinda glad it was, because it prepared me for the AK-74 build which required a little more knowledge that the AMD build provided.

I think that the AMD-63 is the best starter kit you can buy. Maybe it's not the bell of the ball but it made all the dances. JMO

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I would go with an AMD-63 or 65. They are pretty straight forward if using screws. Post some pics and any other questions you have.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have to agree, I would go with the amd 63 because it is as straight forward as you get and you may be able to find one in nice shape. The couple of kits that I bought were absolutely choice.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Kail said:
whats involved in changing over the SLR SKShunter ive been eyeballing those kits for awile just replaceing the front trunnion and rear trunion and rear stock
if i bought a standard 23 mm trunion then press it had it head spaced . any modifications need to be made before i can press it . can those mak 90 kits be done or do the have to have the threads turned down first
Kail...
The only thing you would have to worry about is fitting the rear stock, as it is made for a milled receiver. the angle, or slope of the stock portion that fits into the rear of the receiver is a bit different than a standard stamped rec. type. a little carving, or whittling, as Cephus likes me to call it (lol) is needed to fit it up with a standard rear trunion for a fixed stock. The barrel trunion is a standard press fit 23MM type. You are correct in assuming pressing, headspacing and pinning. The kit comes shipped without trunnions, but Hi-Vel has East German front sections for sale for 30 bucks, and the trunion is plenty usable. If you wanted to go with a different rear stock, there would be absolutely nothing to consider, just a standard build. The kits are super nice, I don't think they've even been assembled, they're that nice. I'll see if I can snap some pics of the rear stock mating up to the receiver, so that you can see exactly what I'm getting at before you buy, or if you're planning on doing something different with the rear, anyway, I wouldn't hesitate a bit to get one. oh, yeah... there is no bayo lug, and the barrel is plain, no threads. comes with a 5-round double stack waffle mag, and a few extra goodies, such as a cool little receiver mounted scope rail.:thumbup1: Don't hesitate to pm if you'd like more info, and I'll try to get the pics taken today.

I don't have my kit assembled as of yet, still toying with a stainless receiver idea, I have a stainless steel blank bent, just thinking of how I want to trim it...

·
Registered
273 Posts
thanks for the info hunter ive been eyeballing those kits at that price for awhile ive got a an extra rear trunnion and i can probably get a front trunnion from global or Hi vel . after i finish the projects im on ill look into getting one .im getting hooked on building .

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Just remember one thing:

Once a builder always a builder!

When I first started reading up on building AK's here at gunco, I only wanted to build one kit. I started with the AMD-65. Since then I have accumulated a bending jig, shop press, drill press, spot welder, pookie's riviter, and various other small parts and tools. I have built 3 AMD's, and a polish underfolder. I started with screw builds and the underfolder is rivited. I must say, they are fun to build and when you go to shoot them its a lot of fun! Please comply with all your state laws when building and we wont have to worry about bailing you out of the pokie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts