Gunco Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than cutting the bayonet lug off, do you guys have any idea how to make it legal and still be able to undo its effect after September?

·
Registered
954 Posts
scubadvr said:
Other than cutting the bayonet lug off, do you guys have any idea how to make it legal and still be able to undo its effect after September?
I have heard of some people putting a bead of weld within the channel area. This way all you have to do is remove material instead of add it. I'm not sure if anyone checked with big brother for approval or not.

Another way would be to machine a C shaped channel that would slide onto the bayonet lug. Then attach it with a spot weld. This too would make the lug unusable yet still be reversable.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good ideas. I was thinking about JB Weld then finishing the rifle. When the ban sunsets it would be an easy grind out. Perhaps the material may brake out after the weapon is fired? What do you thnk?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I don't think using JB Weld is considered legal in eliminating the bayonet lug. Kinda like using it for the threads and a muzzle break on the barrel (ATF won't buy it). I believe that's why people are welding the bayonet lug area.

But if doing it for looks, I guess it would look like the cleaning rod guide if finished and painted properly.

If I'm wrong in thinking this way please let me know.

As far as breaking out, I don't think so, I used it to level the scope mounts and center the scope in the rings (like glass bedding the scope to the rings) on my rifle (6mm Rem) and haven't had any problems at all. Used Acra Glass black dye to color the JB Weld. Can't tell it was done.

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
For the muzzle attachment, I think it needs to be welded or 1200 degree (something of that nature) silver solder to be considered a permanent.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Nice job on the scope mount TK.

Although the attachment method for a muzzle device is clearly defined, IE Blind pin, 1100 degree silver solder or welding at least half way around, I have never seen any specific requirements on a bayo lug other than it must not be able to accept a bayo.

Now this is just my opinion, but I believe that a properly filled and refinished lug would be viewed as just a cleaning rod holder, as you mentioned, and would fulfill the spirit of the law.

In other words, if everything else is right about the gun, I can't see anyone having a problem with it.

That said, if they really wanted to pop you for something, it could be an issue.
Again, this is just my opinion, and it's worth every cent you paid for it.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
7.62x39 said:
Again, this is just my opinion, and it's worth every cent you paid for it.
I had to laugh at that statement, is it copyrighted?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts