Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a black bear in my yard tonight. To bad Angel was the one home instead of me, or me and Cephus would be the proud owners of a bear skin rug.

Bear steaks Cephus?

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just went outside and looked around with a flashlight. Bear tracks all over the snow and within 3 feet of my bedroom window. If it doesn't snow anymore tonight I'll post some pics in the morning.

BTW Pogo, Did you know anything about this? Seems funny that you post Bear Warnings and one shows up in my yard.:lol:

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
You guys better start sewing the little bells on your clothes. :D

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
All he wants is a couple of doughnuts.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Here's some other pics of your area:

Using TerraServer, with Pixxures using infrared: http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/...53&lry=39.5917004398848&provider_id=402&ver=1

and using TerraServer, with LandVoyage: http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/...ly=4387108.178&zone=17&res=10&provider_id=500

and, TerraServer, with GlobeExplorer:
http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/image_gx.asp?cpx=-80.404998&cpy=39.609699&res=8&provider_id=310
You can actually see large buildings using this map.

I like checking out the area with satellite photos before I visit an area.

You can navigate on the map by using the arrow keys near the bottom left of the map.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pogo said:
Preacher,

I'm a looking at the picture of your area and don't see them bear tracks.
Pogo, that's because you are looking in Cephus's yard. You need to look about 6 miles due south in Logansport for the bear tracks.

BTW Thanks for the map sites. I've never seen them ones before.

Cephus said:
Preacher probably got called out on a job.The temp went down to 14 last night and I'll bet somebody needed there heater fixed. LOL :thumbup1: :thumbup1:
How'd you ever guess?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Are folks in your area pretty good about not leaving dog food, garbage, etc., where bears can get to it? I've lived in areas where people were sloppy about that, and it worked out poorly for everyone involved - bears breaking into houses, bears being shot, etc.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dzerzhinsky,

Folks aren't too bad about that in this area, but surrounding areas anything goes. But what has more to do with it than anything is just the fact that we live in the sticks. I can be out of site of any houses in 5 minutes by walking after leaving my front door. I've seen coyotes, mountain lions, bears, even wild boar within 5 miles of my house and most(all but boars) less than a mile from my house.

We's just backwoods folks round here y'all.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Preacher,

Do you ever hunt the boar? If so, are they good eating? I've always wanted to head down South someplace and go boar hunting, but didn't know if they were any good to eat.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I'm a country bumkin, too, live in the desert. Have seen lotsa coyotes, a very few mountain lion tracks, and rather astonishingly a bear: He was trying to get into the shed I keep garbage in, nearest water and woodland must be at least 5 miles away. Chased him off with gunfire - if it hadn't been in the middle of Summer I have to admit I would have been sorely tempted to shoot him.

Most folks in this area are good about not leaving stuff about that may attract bears, but some of the yuppies in their McMansions in the foothills and the Sierras think it's cute to attract the bears - and then complain about them when they start acting like bears instead of like Disney characters.

Seems that at least a couple of nuisance bears are shot each year, when the real nuisance is the people who attracted them in the first place. I think the best way to deal with it is a bag limit of one per day and two in possession for yuppies who put garbage out to attract the bears: http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/e-sermons/butcher.html

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pogo said:
Preacher,

Do you ever hunt the boar? If so, are they good eating? I've always wanted to head down South someplace and go boar hunting, but didn't know if they were any good to eat.
Yes to both questions. It isn't legal to hunt where we live, but there is a handful of counties down in southern WV that has boar hunting. I've never got a boar of my own, but I've eaten them on a couple of occasions. Very good stuff!!! Not really a whole lot different than pork that you buy in the store, but it has a lot fresher taste. Silly me went chasing after them with a handful of sticks and a string, although I was carrying an equalizer if needed.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Preacher said:
Wow Pogo, that's neat. I can actually see my house in that pic. I live just centered between the two lakes and slightly to the left. That is so neat it is almost scary.
You didn't realize I've been watching what you've been doing, have you? :D

Just think what the FBI, the CIA or any other of the alphabet agencies could do if they wanted to. :eek:

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pogo said:
You didn't realize I've been watching what yo've been doing, have you? :D

Just think what the FBI, the CIA or any other of the alphabet agencies could do if they wanted to. :eek:
Exactly what I was thinking. I'm not to worried though, I've been a good little boy.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess we had better watch about streaking through the yard:thumbup1:

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Just remember to look up......smile.......and wave every now and then.

They hate that.:wink:

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cephus said:
Not me I'm going to keep doing it as long as I can walk.
Especially if I come knocking on your door early Saturday morning?:lol:

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cephus, I don't think you caught what I was saying. Talking about streaking, I was thinking about the time you were woke up 3 Saturday mornings in a row, but not the 4th.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts