Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recent studies confirm that Black Bears have adapted well to humans, and their population has increased as a result. It is estimated that Black Bear populations in the U.S. has risen from 253,000 to 375,000 in 1988 and is 465,000 today. With the increase of the Black Bear population, and the loss of wildlife refuge areas due to urbanization, contact between bears and humans are more and more likely. To avoid contact with bears, experts advise that sewing small bells to one's clothing will help warn a bear of the approach of humans. Although bears will usually try to avoid contact with humans, experts advise carrying pepper spray for defense should one get nosey.
It is also important that hikers, campers, and hunters learn to identify bear sign. Black Bear droppings are small, round, and black in color. Droppings of it's more aggressive cousin the Grizzley are usually small, round, black in color with little bells mixed in, and smells like pepper spray. :eek:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I ain't gonna wear no bells.

Maybe some jingly spurs though.:)

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lupeloff said:
I don't get it????????????
Lupe,

The last sentence of my original post.

"Droppings of it's more aggressive cousin the Grizzley are usually small, round, black in color with little bells mixed in, and smells like pepper spray." :D

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
:bangin: Darn, I'm gettin slow in my old age.

·
Registered
681 Posts
NOTE:
you CAN use an AK to hunt bear.
Just remove the front sight.....

....so it won't hurt so bad when the bear rams the barrel of it up your ass...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Trouble is the bastards can close 35 yards on ya in less than 3 seconds and their heads bob up and down when they sprint. Even fatally shot griz will still do you before he dies. And that stuff about playing dead sometimes works if its a female with a cub, but if a male attacks you, he is gonna kill you and eat you unless you get him first. Just read a book on them, never seen one in real life and hope I never do.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Bud Dwyer said:
Im thinking if you shot any bear in the head a few times with 7.62x39 he would be deader than shit.
Go ahead.

Give it a shot. :D

They've found grizzlies in Alaska with over a dozen .30-.06 and larger bullets stuck in their skulls and fatty tissue...and roughly the equivalent number of people in their bellies.
A full grown male grizzly can have a .300 Win mag simply bounce off his skull plate.
:eek:

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
I personally read the account of the Kodiak bear found in Alaska with 6 .38 slugs in him. However, no bear skull will protect its contents from a .30-06 round. It just wont, not anymore than an engine block will.

I personally have never seen any modern report of a hunter being killed by a bear he has shot. It is unarmed hikers that are usually killed; rarely without some stupid act on their part too.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Bluedog said:
However, no bear skull will protect its contents from a .30-06 round. It just wont, not anymore than an engine block will.
B.S.

I have seen pictures of a) living bears with bullet graze scars on their heads. and b) pictures of bears' skulls with bullets imbeded in them.

The reason why is the shape and thickness of a bear's skull means that if you shoot him head on, in the head, betwix the ears, it's so thick and sloping, that it will bounce off.

Now usually if you are shooting at a bear head-on, it means he's already made up his mind that the 'whom hunting whom' argument has yet to be decided, and is coming over to discuss the matter with you.

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
I've heard this stuff too, which is why a ran a google search before I posted my audacious prior comment. Guess what I got? no specifics, just "I heard" and "folks say"

I'm not doubting that bear skulls will stop small and maybe even medium calibre bullets, but a solid non-grazing (aka-miss) hit from a .30-06 to the brain case of a bear is gonna kill it every time.

By the way, the black bear that killed the hiker in the Smokey national park was whopping 106 pounds. The victim was unarmed of course.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I always go armed when I camp out in the wilds of the UP of your state Bluedog. I pack a .44 Mag S&W Mountain Gun. There's plenty of critters both two and four legged a person might need to defend himself from when that far away from anyone else.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Custer said:
Well, I kilt me a bar when I was only three....
I heard that bear really choked to death while eating a box of Kleenex.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A 45 ACP would easily kill one if they would rear up and allow a chest shot. I'm not sure what would happen if you hit him in the shoulder or head with one though. Probably make a blackie turn and run. It would totally honk off a griz though. :D

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
My son went on a big canoe trip this year to the wildernous area bordering Minnesota and Canada. He took his SA .45 ACP for protection, bears and whatnot.

I told him I did not think it had enough juice but all the young studs disagreed with me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts