Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had to fire two employees within a week. Both for dishonesty.

One was a lady, two weeks on the job, who made up a story in order to get a $1600 company loan. The story made no sense, so, in checking it out, we found out she is a con artist with numerous warrants outstanding for check kiting and the like.

Had a guy call in for funeral leave, with 3 days pay, for the death of his grandmother.

As it turned out, he merely found clipped an obit of some random, older lady and presented it as documentation.

When we looked at the obit, I recognized that the funeral home caters exclusively to the black community. Since he was a white guy, further checking revealed the fraud.

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
I have a short in chambers hearing at 3, after which I'll go home early. I don't think the boss will mind.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My boss and I went out before lunch so I could watch him buy a Sig.

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
I didn't think you had one?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bluedog said:
I didn't think you had one?
Sure. I came out of retirement to help a couple young guys build this place up. Next thing I know I am grinding away again.

But I occasionally like to disabuse him of the notion. You gotta straighten these young fellers out once in awhile.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Oops! BTW: Custer, I meant to tell you that the shop near me has some good stuff in right now. Few Chinese SKS's even one that takes AK mags. They had some good Mauser stuff including some Spanish that shoot .308.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We went to Shooter's Supply in Loveland. Competitive prices and they treat you great. I think I bought every non C&R gun I own from them except for a S&W .22 I bought from Relo before they went out of business.

There is a new place out by me, in Newtown, but the guy dropped the ball on my boss's order. A very poor way to act in a startup. Not sure I will go back there now.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
I'm happy I 'm in a different kind of business now, everybody is on "subcontractor" status, which means firing is just a matter of terminating their contract by written notice. Yes, there are crooked real estate agents too, but I get rid of them as soon as they try to pull something off, like I had a guy not too long ago who wanted to lie about the escrowed money on a contract to help a client....a no-no, we are subject to escrow account audits from the state, the fines for not complying with the law could be anywhere from 1,000 to 10,000 Dollars.

On my previous business I had my share of bad apples, even people who had been with the company for about 20 years were caught trying to steal business, I was not very forgiving with them either.

Not easy nowadays, moral values have gone away, employee sense of ownership is practically non-existance and as a business owner you still have to watch out for numero uno and do what's right for the company and clients without sacrificing product quality, reliability and service. Dishonest people have no room in my place.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At this low unemployment rate, I believe 1/2 of the unemployed have that status because they "earned" it and are essentially unemployable in any economy. The other 1/2 may or may not have the skill set to fit the job that is open.

I know that there are regions where that is not the case.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
You've got that right Custer. Me & my brother run a small family contracting business. We have problems finding anyone with the proper skills needed to do the job. I realize the fact that we do so many different types of work contributes to this, but it's hard to find someone that can even do one job well. If we can find someone, we can't afford them. Not to mention the problem you had with dishonesty. A person can disappear with a $1000 worth of tools in a hurry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts