Gunco Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine and let me borrow an offset (gooseneck) bending die and a v-notch 90 degree die from him. I immediately went to the press and tried it out on the RPK receiver blanks that I purchased from another poster (on another board). I really liked everything about the blanks, except that the corners weren't bent sharp enough to suit me. These dies fit inside the pre-formed blank perfectly and and with the help of my press, I know have sharp corners.
The dies would work much better when starting out on a flat from Joeken or Tapco.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Seems to me the problem of the receiver bending has been accomplished (Wayne's Jig) by many, some good, some bad. But the real problem is bending the upper rails. I haven't seen anyone with a jig for doing that yet. I have seen the old hammer and two pieces of steel holding the receiver and hitting the upper rails tricks. It get's the job done but still not real professional. I have a TAPCO flat that's just a nice paper weight because of the upper rail thing. Yeah, I could use the hammer job but I want a more professional finish.
Maybe in the future either I or someone will come up with a jig to do those itty bitty upper rails.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Toten Kopf said:
Seems to me the problem of the receiver bending has been accomplished (Wayne's Jig) by many, some good, some bad. But the real problem is bending the upper rails. I haven't seen anyone with a jig for doing that yet. I have seen the old hammer and two pieces of steel holding the receiver and hitting the upper rails tricks. It get's the job done but still not real professional. I have a TAPCO flat that's just a nice paper weight because of the upper rail thing. Yeah, I could use the hammer job but I want a more professional finish.
Maybe in the future either I or someone will come up with a jig to do those itty bitty upper rails.
I am actually going to start by using the old hammer method on the top rails. Once I get close, this die set will make them right. Of course, I will experiment a bit before trying on a flat.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
gtbehary said:
I am actually going to start by using the old hammer method on the top rails. Once I get close, this die set will make them right. Of course, I will experiment a bit before trying on a flat.
That's good to know. I also bought a couple of blanks from that person that he made on the 4130 I sent him and I wished they were a bit sharper in the corners. I put them on hold as I had ordered one of Wayne's jigs and wanted to wait and see how that turned out. Like you said this can also be used to help make the Tapco flats more presentable.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have yet to see a completed receiver that started out as a flat.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
gtbehary said:
I have yet to see a completed receiver that started out as a flat.

I have bent a flat or two with Waynes jig. While the lower bend were passable, the upper rails were a little rippled because of my "hammer technique". I am still trying to figure a way of using his jig to accomplish this task without having to use the hammer and pray method. Nothing coming yet however.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts