Gunco Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever tried using one of those bending brakes for light duty sheet metal bending (in harbor freight or northern tool) on an AK flat? I saw on a website somewhere that the angles are sloppy but someone must've had some luck with a certain type of bending machine.....right?
Also, I finally ordered a Millermatic 175 MIG and I got my laser cut flat from NatOrd the other week ago. Yeah, i know no one gives a shit but I'm excited.
thanks friends -Later

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Nick.....

Tried to bend a MAC 10 flat once, didn't work at all and I was using a super-duper heavy duty brake (I mean "BIG", like very "BIG"). I couldn't get the holes to line up.

AND WHAT'S WITH THIS???? What do you mean no one gives a crap? In every job or build, you learn something. And someone, sometime is going to run into a problem that maybe "YOU" solved during your experiences. Whether it's a tool that you found worked on a certain task or how you figured out something to help your build go more smoothly, you are learning. And with learning comes experience.

So the next time I might be asking about how to run a MIG welder or someting else and you can give us help in what has worked for you. Hey, we all need each other, that's why were here.

So keep us informed on what's going on with your build, okay.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jiggin

Yosuthnmasa, thanks for the link! Wanted to respond before I read it cause of the excitment I got when I saw all that info. Thats what I'm talking about though. -a jig project that takes about 1 afternoon but pays off for a lifetime.
Toten, sorry bro- dont know why I said that. I mustve forgot that I was talking to people who are all about the love of firearms and building projects from sratch - and not people who live in NJ, ya know. But I'm a junior member so... anyway- do you think that the bending brake lacks the accuracy you need for an ak flat? I've never seen a MAC 10 flat, do you get them from southern trading?

Thanks

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
Nick said:
Yosuthnmasa, thanks for the link! Wanted to respond before I read it cause of the excitment I got when I saw all that info. Thats what I'm talking about though. -a jig project that takes about 1 afternoon but pays off for a lifetime.
Toten, sorry bro- dont know why I said that. I mustve forgot that I was talking to people who are all about the love of firearms and building projects from sratch - and not people who live in NJ, ya know. But I'm a junior member so... anyway- do you think that the bending brake lacks the accuracy you need for an ak flat? I've never seen a MAC 10 flat, do you get them from southern trading?

Thanks
for a mac 10 flat here are some links of ones for sale on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36258&item=3679681146&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36258&item=3679681100&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

As for bending a flat the thread linked above to the success fellow member 555th had with bending a tapco flat, He posted another pic to another gun forum and I'll try to get it posted to the thread linked above. (here is the link again just in case.) http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthr...ghlight=bending

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Nick, as far as I know, he may have tweeked the jig so that the upper rails don't have to be bent with a hammer. You may want to shoot him an email and see what he's changed. Not that the current plans he has won't work, but it might make doing the upper rails a little easier. Good luck on the build!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Nick said:

Thanks
Bought them long ago from RPB Inc., they were about $10.00 each. I'm sure that someone probbly could use a brake to bend a flat. But it's not like some of the jigs that were available. The brake is not that accrutate for us common joes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
common joes

Thanks for all the feed back and links guys, it is GREATLY appreciated. If you get the chance, let me know what projects you are working on or planning to work on. Later

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Nick, even the $159 brake from H.F. doesn't have enough clamping ability to hold the sheet metal tight enough during the bend. I'm currently waiting for a 12 ton press from H.F. and I'll try to use it to hold the sheet metal but I think the jigs made by folks like Wayne Morgan, justashooter and 555th are the way to go. And now with Machman's dimple jig and Hcpookie's website on making the rest of the dimples(Xs & Ys and magazine well) there seems like less and less reasons to fool with flats as opposed to Bentmetals or Ace 80% receivers.:dunno: Either way good luck on your builds!! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bents or flats...

"there seems like less and less reasons to fool with flats as opposed to Bentmetals or Ace 80% receivers."
I hear you on that...its only that I convinced myself that the flats seem to be .001% more complete than the bent blanks. I'm just getting frustrated too easy-but to be honest w/ you, I pick being in the feild shooting round after round over being in my "shop" fiddlin' around with a peice of sheet metal anyday.
How are you going to use the 12 ton press, do you have a jig to put the flat in, then press it? Do you have to use a bucking bar?(i dont even know what a bucking bar really does)
I'm just going to stick with the laser cut flat I got from nat ord now since I ordered a mig. I'm pretty confident that it'll be the right road to go down, atleast for me. Nothing more annoying than ordering stuff online, the suspense drives me INSANE. Let us know when you get that press though and how you plan or already plan to use it.
build and smile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts