Gunco Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im making up my X-mas list, and Im having trouble deciding between the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur and The Shimano Calcutta.
Does anyone have any opinion on which one I should go for, or Another one that is better?
:boxing:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Guess it depends on how much dough you really want to invest. The Calcuttas a sweet but for the money you just can't beat the Abu Garcia Ambassaduers. I own bottom end Ambassadeurs, a 500, 6000, and 7000B. (all bushing reels instead of ball bearing) and I've gotten years of excellent service out of mine (the 7000 is only 2 years old). The higher end Abu's are undoubtedly smoother but I do a lot of bottom fishing (not frequently casting) so all I need are workhorses. The Abu's live up to my needs and expectations. I own two Quantum saltwater casting reels with multiple bearings that are smoother and I've been really impressed with their ruggedness as well.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'll be using it riverfishing for Steelhead and Salmon.
I already have a Penn 209 that I use with 20lb test for sturgeon and saltwater King Salmon trolling. It was made in the early 50's an was left to me by my Grandfather when he passed.
I just need something lighter for 10-14 lb test casting off either a jetsled or the bank.

As it will be fon the Xmas list Im not too concerened about the price;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Xmas list? Well then, "Go for the Gold". I'm a flathead catfisher so the reels I primarily use are of the Abu 6000 series and larger. I do have a friend who let me try his Shimano 200A bass rig which is similar in capacity to the Abu 5500/5600 series, and it's very sweet, no bait clicker but it's a great casting reel.

This is great time of year to get a good price on a reel so I'd be checking: the online vendors/BPS/Cabela's and even That-bay place. I got a brand new Quantum IR330 saltwater non-levelwind casting reel that holds 400 yds. of 20# and 3bb drive for $49.95 last year from BPS during the holiday sale/year-end clearance, average retail was about $115. It's an awesome reel, I have it's higher-end big brother the IR430 levelwind that is probably my favorite of all my reels. (Great step up from the 209 but your 209 might last forever...)

I might have a goofy pic of my Cat Rigs, if I've got it on disc I'll post it. I do some fishin'!:thumbup1: I'll vote Calcutta, they're very nice and might last more than a lifetime.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Of the two, I would buy the Shimano. Either would be a good reel though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts