Gunco Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

well put me a Norinco SKS on layaway but it is missing the Bayonet.

Any suggestions on who has the setup with all the parts spike type New.

SkS looks pretty good overall,will pick it up soon.

Edit another quick question is this Suppressor any good the 12.00 one on this site?

Thanks again http://www.thecountryshed.com/sks_accessories.htm

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Not sure of the legality of adding the bayonet if the rifle was imported without it. With the death of AWB, my never nuetered "Type 56" military issued SKS is once again legal to have the bayonet (not that I ever removed it) as it was a C&R when I bought it (but the Chinese SKS has since been removed from the list). AWB or not, the Chinese SKS's were imported with thier own set of special laws, and I'm not sure if adding the bayonet comes under 922r or not.
Anybody else know?
And the flash supressor? Junk, like most of the aftermarket SKS stuff out there. Nothing against the company selling them, but it's pretty much a useless accessory. I've never known my SKS to have a really huge flash, unlike my AK's which can really light up your life in low-light conditions. Controllability issues are non-existent in an 8 pound rifle shooting the 7.62X39 round semi-auto. And if you do mount the bayonet, you cant use it with this thing attached.
Every part you could possibly need for your SKS...... http://www.sarcoinc.com/sks.html

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just to tell you, that if you ever do any parts changes with a Chicom SKS. Becareful the tolerences from factory to factory were different and some of the parts will not interchange.

·
Registered
508 Posts
reef12 said:
Has bayonet lug on barrel does this not mean that it can be put on?
If I'm not mistaken it's actually the bayonet lug that's the offending feature. Some pure craziness when it comes to Chicom SKS rifles and the issue of the bayonet. Ten's of thousands were imported and with the exception of a small quanity in the early 90's, all came with bayonets attached or in the box. Some simply had the bayonets removed, others had the lugs shaved off. In the same timeframe Chinese NHM91 rifles were sold without the bipod (evil feature according to 922r) although thousands had already been sold with the bipods. (it was sometime in '93-94 and the overall quality of the Chicom SKS was steadily going downhill, the worst I saw sported hideous dark brown stocks and stamped componants. The local gunshops had been advised by authorities to remove the bayonets, when I inquired about purchasing one for a spare I was told they had been donated to the BSA for tent stakes--no kiddin'!)

Anyway, I'm not going to recommend anything that might be construed as illegal. Just some things you might wish to make note of, there were both spike and blade model Chicom SKS rifles. The spike bayonets were on the standard 20" bbl. and 16" carbines (the bayo on the 16" simply a ground down fullsize spike), as far as I know the blade bayo models were limited to the standard length rifle. Very easy to distinguish which bayonet the rifle was originally made for by the groove in the stock. Among those differences there were screw-on bayonets and rivet-type bayonets, the latter being more difficult to procure as they're generally associated with commercial Chicoms rather than standard milsurp. The visible difference is easy to spot, the screw models have a small hole with threads, the rivet model has a large bare hole in the lug.

Anyway, enjoy the rifle! The Chicom SKS and it's cousin the MAK90 (along with their associated steel core ammunition) were probably the largest driving force of Clinton's 1994 AWB. The Chicom SKS rifles are hard to beat but as Peacemaker mentioned there are some quality/fit&finish issues out there due to the varied factories and use of stamped and milled parts and combinations of the two. They're great shooters and collectables not due to their superiority but the political climate that halted their importation. That alone gives the Chicom SKS it's own American history. Again, enjoy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all.

I bought one yesterday at the Gun show $5.00 so will put it away.

Strange folks indeed the BTAF.:thumbup1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts