Gunco Forums banner

What type of beer taste do you prefer?

• The "yellow" beer pilsner flavor like Warsteiner, Heineken, Coors, etc.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • The "nutty" beer flavor like Sam Adams, Fat Tire, etc.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • The "bitter hops" flavor like Coors, Budweiser, etc.

Votes: 1 16.7%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best-tasting beers you've had? I've learned over the years that there are basically three types of beers:

1. The "yellow" beer with a sweetish pilsner type flavor. Sometimes this has a "skunky" odor when you open the bottle. This type of beer for me is characterized by brands like Warsteiner, Brummen, Heineken, Lowenbrau, Molson.

2. The "nutty" beer that sort of has a "nut" or "coffee" flavor. Usually the color of this beer is more amber or sometimes darker than the "yellow" beers. This type of beer is characterized by brands like Samuel Adams, Bass, Fat Tire, and others.

3. The "bitter hops" flavor, like Budweiser, Coors, etc. I'd also place these in the "yellow" beer flavor categories.

My vote for the best beer: Warsteiner. It's a German beer that's a little stronger than a lot of other beers, but it has a dry and not-too-sweet "yellow" beer flavor. Most people I've introduced to this beer have fallen in love with it. Bad point: sometimes the taste is not always consistent. I'm not sure if this is due to the so-called "German purity law" listed on the label, or if it's just poor storage changing the flavor, but you occasionally get a ringer in a six-pack, or maybe all the beers in a single six-pack just won't quite taste right.

My vote for the worst beer: any beer that tastes like puke going down. It's been several years, and maybe it's because it wasn't the coldest beer I'd ever had, but the Moosehead I tasted was some nasty sh*t.

Cheers!

:cheers:

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
You forgot to add Stout, M?rzen/Oktoberfest, and Bock beers to the poll list. I also prefer a good wheat beer during the summer.

My choice of beer is usually based on food or cigar I'm having with it. Pilsner Urquell is one of my favorites with spicy foods (wings, pizza, nachos, etc.). I also enjoy a Lambic once in awhile, but one is more than enough to satisfy that desire for a couple months or more.

John Courage Amber and any stout is good with roasted beast. Draft Cider is really good on a hot summer day when you've got the grill fired up. Burgers, corn-on-the-cob, and watermelon go great with a Woodchuck or Hornsby draft cider (plus the Hornsby's got that cool rhino on the label).

I like some of the brewpub stuff, but every once in awhile they come up with something that tastes like crap... That's the stuff that usually winds up being popular with the local college crowd. My college days taught me to appreciate mass quantities of beer, but then I got clued in to the homebrew craft. After that, quality became more important than quantity. Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to put down a few pitchers with the fellas. As long as it isn't made by anheuser busch, it's at least tolerable.

I'm getting the itch to dig out the equipment and brew another batch. Maybe a batch of raspberry wheat... It would be ready just in time for the dog days of summer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm a basic, knuckle-dragging creton when it comes to beer. I like simple, watery, American style ales mostly.

Cheap, piss-flavored yellow water from the tap. :D

Yes, sometimes I envy the hip brew-pubbers and they're 27,431 different beers with cool names like "Wicked Skunk Barley Stout", but then when we're old men I can show the hipsters my pre-ban collection that was purchased with the money I saved drinking watery-swill.

Oh, Rolling Rock is my favorite crap beer.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
well to be honest,
when i used to drink, my favorite was MORE!!!!!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rhino_66 said:
You forgot to add Stout, M?rzen/Oktoberfest, and Bock beers to the poll list. I also prefer a good wheat beer during the summer.

I didn't forget, it just seemed in my mind that these are more "specialty" products, and I just wanted to concentrate on your basic "beer" beer.

Some people consider malt liquor to be almost...Super Beer(?), but I didn't want to open that can of worms, either.

I'll drink Guiness Stout occasionally, and I've had different Bocks. They just go too far beyond "beer" flavor to me, and that's why I didn't include them.

It's just my bias, I guess. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I dig Chimay. It's an unpasteurized beer made in in Belgium by Trappist monks and it will kick your ass (about 9 percent alcohol). There's a good bit of sediment, so you have to be careful when you pour 'em. Comes in liters, I think.

Anyway, it's a reddish, spicy beer. Wonderful with a nice, bloody steak.

Unfortunately, it can't be had in West Virginia because of the alcohol content, so a road trip to Ohio is required whenever I get the itch. The stuff comes in corked bottles that definitely pose an eye injury hazard, especially after you've had a few. :headspin:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I worked in Saskatchewan Canada once. They had a beer (a malt liquor actually) that was very good. I have never seen it anywhere else. It was called Great Western. It was some good stuff. I wish I could get it in Tennessee.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pilsner Urquel here is nothing like PQ over there . . .

My faves:

"Altbier" from any of the pub breweries in the Duesseldorf Altstadt. Full-bodied and flavorful, but by no means bitter.

In the US:

Straub, from a small north central PA brewery of the same name. In these parts, you either love it or hate it. Full bodied.

Molson Canadian. My cousin turned me onto it. I don't get a headache, and no "hay fever" symptoms with it.

In Canada: Rickertts (sp?) Pale. Truly outstanding ale. Full-flavored with a hint of a sweet finish. No headache or nasal drip with this one, either.

If faced with Bud, Coors, Miller, Michelob, etc, I usually choose iced tea.

BRS

·
Registered
681 Posts
you dudes ain't had a good one till you had Samuel Smith's Pale ale Brewed in Tadcaster, England. It normally is sold in 4 packs, and runs about 10.00 for a 4 pack. It's a little spendy, but it's absolutely the nectar of the gods.:rockin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts