Gunco Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gunco MemBeer
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, been checking out the site for a while, getting build tips that are very useful. am building an amd-65 on a oow reciever. all i have to do now is to drill the trunnion holes in the reciever. what are the best methods to get them close?

thanks for the help

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
There are a few methods that work really well.

I use a Post-It note as a template. I just line one edge up with the front of the trunnion and one edge up the the slot that runs along the side. I rub over the holes with the side of a pencil, and the holes are marked. I just cut the holes and I'm ready to go.

You can make templates out of the clear plastic 2-liter pop bottles. This lets you see the side of the trunnion while you're marking the hole locations. Just use the front edge of the trunnion and the slot as reference points. Cut out the holes and you're ready to go.

Another method is to lay the trunnion on the bed of a scanner, scan the trunnion and make a .JPG file of the side. Print out the pic in 1:1 scale and cut out the holes.

**With all of these template methods, always double check the hole position against the trunnion before drilling any holes.**

If you have a drill press or mill with a vise:

You can clamp the trunnion or stock tang in the vise and position the holes in line with the drill bit. Once the hole is lined up, clamp the vise to the drill press table or lock the table of the mill in place. Double check the hole position and then slide the receiver onto the trunnion or stock tang. Once the receiver is in position, drill the hole. Repeat for the other holes...

With any method you choose, you may be able to drill through both sides of the receiver using the trunnion or stock tang holes as a guide. This can really save time, but make damn sure the pieces are in the right position or you will be fixing (or scrapping) your receiver.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts