Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to rivet the trouions back to the receiver in an AK build?
Thanks for any info
Tobacco Man

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Well....there are several ways of doing them. Pookies rivit squeezer is probably the easiest. But, there are many more great ideas out there. Do a search for riviting here on this site and you will find the answer to all your questions.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I purchased a flat bending jig from DPH Arms this weekend at the gun show. I am going to try to attempt my first AK build (AMD 65 kit). Is there any tips or tricks any one can offer?
Thanks, T M

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Tobacco Man said:
Thanks for the info. I purchased a flat bending jig from DPH Arms this weekend at the gun show. I am going to try to attempt my first AK build (AMD 65 kit). Is there any tips or tricks any one can offer?
Thanks, T M
I've been do a build based on the AMD-65 (also using the DPH Arms Jig). Here are some links to what I've been doing.

Rear Trunnion Rivet Removal
http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2564

Barrel Removal
http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2735

Front - Rear Trunnion Layout
http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2773

Layout for Center Support
http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2820

Bolt Carrier Layout/Installation
http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2852

The first few I posted were word documents, but the kind folks at this site wisely changed them to the Adobe format (just scroll down the thread). Now all are posted as Adobe .pdf format. I will be posting more as I continue. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. I will do some posts when I start my build (probably today) and check it against yours.

Thanks, T B

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is pookie selling his riveting tool? I have heard of some people having one, but I can not find one for sale.

Thanks, T M

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Tobacco Man said:
Thanks, T M

TM,

Dont forget....we have some jars to go dig up!!

Scott

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone have instructions on what is the correct way/order to put an AMD 65 back together after you have got the rivets out of the trunions, and prepared the receiver flat.

Thanks, T M

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
To find this information you need to go to the "Home Builders Library" and "General Home Builders Lobby".

I have been posting tutorials on my AMD-65 build.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info, your tutorials are great! I have run into a problem though I am having trouble pressing out the barrel rivet in the front truoin (I keep bending the 1/4" bolt I am pressing with). How do you press them out? I have printed out the tutorial on that, but I must have a really stubborn one.

thanks again, T M:thankyou:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Okay, at first I didn't understand what you were trying to say (barrel rivet). Most of us call the pin that goes through the rear sight fixture the barrel center pin (not rivet).

On my AMD-65, this pin was the hardest to start to remove (others have stated the same thing about the AMD-65) of all the center pins I've removed. Once it starts to move you will here a "LOUD" pop/bang. I used a 20 ton press to get mine out. People have tried other methods but in the end had to use a press (I'm not saying that there isn't another way). Below is a picture of what I used. It's a hardened allen bit but some have used a hardened screwdriver bit (also pictured). I believe I mentioned this in my tutorial. One thing when doing this...."WEAR EYE PROTECTION"!

"Click On Picture To Enlarge"

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for using the wrong terms. The barrel pin is what I ment. I will try the screw driver bit. How did you get it to stay under the press without poping across the shop when you applied the pressure?

Thanks again, and please bear with me this is my first build, but I got my receiver bent, and all my trigger parts put in temporarily (to check for fitment). All seems to be well except for those stubborn barrel pins.
:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: Tobacco Man

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
To prevent the bit from popping out you must make sure that the trunnion is level (this is in my tutorial also) to the press ram. If either is cocked as pressure is applied it will cause the bit to angle and pop out. Take your time and make sure that everyting is lined up. Remember...we're not in a race!

As a side note, my AMD-65 pin was so hard to get out that I wrapped a shop cloth around the bit as I applied pressure. So just in case it did pop the rag would catch it. Gotta think safety when doing this stuff.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info. I wonder why the AMD 65 pins are so hard to push out? I figured a press would pop it out with no problem (HA< HA)
T M:thankyou:

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Tobacco Man said:
Thanks for the info. I wonder why the AMD 65 pins are so hard to push out? I figured a press would pop it out with no problem (HA< HA)
T M:thankyou:

TM,

you may want to try a steel ball bearing, it wont "shoot" out like a screwdriver bit will.

Scott

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
DPH arms said:
TM,

you may want to try a steel ball bearing, it wont "shoot" out like a screwdriver bit will.

Scott
Good idea Scott. But I don't know where I'd find one easily. Spray paint cans used to have steel ball bearings to shake up the paint but now they use marbles.

Hell, I just thought that ACE Hardware might have them. Will try it out on my next center pin removal.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Success!!!! I finally got that barrel pin out. I used a 7/16 bit socket (fits in a drill just like the screwdriver bits) except you have the flat socket part to press on (helps keep it from poping out). I am on to getting out the rear rivets, and laying out the reciver for the truoins. (I am sure I will be asking more ?'s.
thanks again for all the help, T M

1 - 20 of 20 Posts