Gunco Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the some of the advantages/disadvantages of using bolts insted of rivets? Has any one had any bad experinces with bolts?
thanks Tobacco Man

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I feel like I have asked 500 questions in 2 days, but I am new to the AK building world. Everyone here is really helpful:thankyou: .
What size taps did you use for the front & rear trunnions? I am still trying to buy all the riveting tools, so I may just use a screw kit I have for my first build. (my paper says I need a 10-32NF bottoming tap for the 4 holes in the front trunnion) I do not think I have a bottoming tap.
thanks again, Tobacco Man

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
WC846 said:
Cephus, what kind of screws do tou use? Hardened? Button head?
I have used button head and when I bought them I was told they are grade 8. Do you need some?

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Tobacco Man said:
Where do you get the grade 8 ones from?

T M
I get mine from an industrial supply place about 5 minutes from my house. I know some have ordered online - but not sure where from.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
just wondering what size so i can check and see if they stock them at work..if you let me know exactly what sizes we need..i'll make you up a care package too..haha

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
ok..got em
10-32 X 1/2
10-32 X 3/8
10-32 X 1/4
8-32 X 1/2
8-32 X 3/8
8-32 X 1/4
6/32 X 1/2
6-32 X 1/4

Think that about covers it..probably have some extra ones that i'll never use but what the heck. I'll use them for something. I looked the drawings up and the specs are rockwell 36-46..that should be plenty hard enough..

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You can usually find them at your local ace hardware store. They are in the white and (button head)sanded down then painted look just like the ones you can order. Just grind down what you dont need.
You may want to try rivits on your next build. With all the tools out here on this forum, one can build with rivits as easy as you can with screws. My screw builds have held up with almost 200 rounds on my first one. Use loc-tite on all your screws.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Sam and I had this discussion on our way to and from Gettysburg (yea I know we are boring). Screw builds are good, grade 8 might be overkill but you will never have to worry. I even like the looks of a screw build. Jack

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
How does screwing the rails hold up? That's one of my next steps in building. I've been trying to decide if I should get a friend to weld them or try the screw on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i used 1/4" button head allen screws on my 1919a4 build for the left & right sideplates.
some purists might frown on this, but i think it looks damn good. (better than if I tried to rivet them!) however, i wouldnt reccomend doing it that way because it took me days & about a dozen broken taps. (it was my first time.)
due to ATF regs i had to drill holes & weld them & that made it stronger so i didnt have to worry about the stress placed on just the screws.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
yea the grade 8 would be overkill..the rivets are probably grade 2..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Personally, I have found a combination build to be the simplest.

Trunnions are easy to tap and screw, but the trigger guard and center support are much easier to rivet.

YMMV,

_Disconnector_

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Cephus, you'll have to excuse me for some of the names i call these parts because i can't read russian..anyway, on my rear whatever you call it..the part that is on the rear of the receiver that the stock bolt's/rivets to has larger holes than the front trunion..it mic'd out at .176 that is way too large for a 10/32 like you use..so i am going to rivet the rear piece and screw the front..the front holes were a lot better..the forward 4 holes mic'd out perfect for a 10/32 (.159) and the last 2 were a little larger, probably from the type of rivets what were in the gun originally. they enlarged the hole about .005

1 - 18 of 18 Posts