Gunco Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local pistol range had one box, marked down to $10.00. I offered $8.00 for the Winchester Savage .303 box.

He also had two boxes of Winchester 32 Specials. They were the same size as the .303s! It took me awhile to see any difference. Their bottle neck is higher up, giving them more powder. He had a better deal on them, but my bet is they won't work in an Enfield.

·
Registered
625 Posts
That's not a game I'd play. Only shoot what's made for the gun your shooting, if it's an Enfield in .303 use the .303, if it's chambered for Winchester .32 Specials, only use the Winchester .32 Specials. You start that mix?n?match crap and well be seeing an announcement of your death in a post here real soon. And none of us want?s to see that.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Both of those heaspace on the shoulder... the .32, if the shoulder is higher up, probably wouldn't chamber. If they did, they may be forward enough to pinch the brass in the rifling, and that would be a very bad thing.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Do not try it .I have a vintage Winchester 94 in 32 Win special. They are the same case as a 30-30 necked up to 32 caliber.My uncle has a Savage Model 95 lever gun that is in 303. They have not made shells for that for years. Winchester still loads the 32.I just bought some new brass and a set of dies for the 32 last week. It is a good river bottom gun.Nice and light.The 32 heaspaces on the rim.

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Are you talking about the Savage 303 or the British 303? They are two completely different rounds and are not interchangble by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Savage .303.

Might interchange it at a Gun Show for British .303! Nice looking rounds, though. Might keep 'em to look at. Might try to pick up the .32 Specials for a deal, again more as a collectors item than anything else. Might run into someone that uses 'em someday!

No, I wouldn't mix the .32 Special with a British .303. I doubted it would fit, since the shoulder is higher. If it did, likely would be a mess, as someone suggested. One of the basic rules of firing a gun is never mix ammunition. However, some might not understand that .45 ACP is different than . 45 Glock, for example. When I bought the Savage .303, I really didn't understand they were different than British .303, so thanks for the heads up. They are cool, though.

The reason I mentioned the .32 Special was it is one powerful looking round. I believe it was used in lever action rifles, like Droog's. Now, that would be nice!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally compared the Winchester Savage .303s to British .303s. The Enfield version of the round is much bigger. No way to confuse the two.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got one!

droog said:
Do not try it .I have a vintage Winchester 94 in 32 Win special. They are the same case as a 30-30 necked up to 32 caliber.My uncle has a Savage Model 95 lever gun that is in 303. They have not made shells for that for years. Winchester still loads the 32.I just bought some new brass and a set of dies for the 32 last week. It is a good river bottom gun.Nice and light.The 32 heaspaces on the rim.
Droog, I have a Box of Winchester .303! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts