Gunco Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12/28/2004 1:26:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: National Desk

Contact: Anne Rosello of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, 202-898-0792

WASHINGTON, Dec. 28 /U.S. Newswire/ -- In dozens of American communities this New Year's Eve, overexcited and under- intelligent individuals will welcome 2005 with an act of stupidity. They may kill an innocent in the bargain, too.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the Million Mom March are joining with America's police departments to urge Americans not to engage in what police call "celebratory gunfire" -- the indiscriminate unloading of weapons into the air. On New Year's Eve and Independence Day each year, scores of people place others at risk of injury or death as a result of celebratory gunfire. When a bullet is fired into the air, the bullet has to come down somewhere.

The practice of celebratory gunfire has been a problem in cities like Miami, New Orleans, Phoenix and Los Angeles and in towns along the U.S. and Mexico border. Last year, it became such a problem in Puerto Rico that U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention were called in for advice.

"Every police group in America supports national and local efforts to educate citizens on the dangers of celebratory gunfire," said John Shanks, Law Enforcement Relations Director for Brady and the Million Moms. "Every police officer in America would urge people not to do something as reckless as this."

"It makes no sense whatsoever to fire a weapon into the air, not knowing where the bullet may fall. This is probably the most unsafe, crazy practice people engage in on New Year's Eve," said Steve Lenkart of the International Brotherhood of Police Officers. And Curt Lavarello, Executive Director for the National Association of School Resource Officers said, "It would be horrific if one of our students did not return to school after the winter break because of this type of reckless behavior with firearms."

Four years ago, Phoenix, Arizona enacted Shannon's Law, in memory of 14-year-old Shannon Smith, killed by a stray bullet in June 1999 while talking on her phone in her back yard. The law makes it a felony to fire a gun into the air within the city limits. Yet in 2003, there were still 95 cases of random gunfire successfully prosecuted in the city of Phoenix.

How dangerous can it get? Consider one of the risks facing America's service men and women in Iraq. Last November, celebratory gunfire in Baghdad following the death of Saddam Hussein's two sons cost 31 Iraqis their lives, including two young children. Seventy-six others were wounded.

·
Angry White Man
3,379 Posts
Got to admit that shooting into the air like that is pretty stupid. My boys and I fire off the old shotgun on the 4th of July, kind of a tradition now, but we always aim it into the hillside behind the house.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
"Every police officer in America would urge people not to do something as reckless as this."
I know police officers that are going to be doing it. But like RetVet says, We have enough hills out here to shoot in.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I actually agree with them on this one. The only firearm that should be shot into the air is a shotgun.

Although I was thinking of getting some 12-gauge signaling flares for the occasion...

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yeah, it's a dumb idea and I would never do it.

FYI - John Shanks, I've gotten in a debate with him on a website called "police magazine" or something like that. He's as big a gun banning swine as you'd ever care to meet. I told him if gun control was so good, how come in a city where handguns had been banned since 1976, James Brady got a gunshot wound to the head?

You shoulda seen him come unglued, what with being the Brady bunch mouth piece "liason" with law enforcement, he didn't like that. He wanted to know my name and address, or some such personal info so he could do something. I told him to pound sand. LOL!

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
As some of the guys have posted above.........PLEASE don't do this on New Years Eve.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A broken clock is right twice a day.

I have no respect for the Brady group and the fact that they even offer advice to gunowners about this is disingenuous.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Back in the days of my youth, the first real job I had was in a factory making paper and Mylar tubing. I had a Mexican friend at work that celebrated New Years Eve by stupidly going out at midnight with a Colt Woodsman .22 to shoot into the air. Even worse he had the gun stuck into the waistband of his pants, well, as you?d expect, the gun went off as he pulled it out. The bullet entered his left leg just left of his nuts and traveled down the bone and exited at his knee. He was in the Hospital about two weeks and had I don?t know how many operations, never walked to well after that. Nice guy but not too bright at times.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Oldgunner said:
Back in the days of my youth, the first real job I had was in a factory making paper and Mylar tubing. I had a Mexican friend at work that celebrated New Years Eve by stupidly going out at midnight with a Colt Woodsman .22 ...
Well, at least he had good taste in firearms, if not good judgment.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
I actually agree with them on this one. The only firearm that should be shot into the air is a shotgun.

Although I was thinking of getting some 12-gauge signaling flares for the occasion...
I always use a shotgun as well, but I always pick a spot on the hill.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Custer said:
The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the Million Mom March are joining with America's police departments to urge Americans not to engage in what police call "celebratory gunfire" -- the indiscriminate unloading of weapons into the air. On New Year's Eve and Independence Day each year, scores of people place others at risk of injury or death as a result of celebratory gunfire. When a bullet is fired into the air, the bullet has to come down somewhere.
Is it possible? For once, I actually agree with the Brady Bunch!

Roger

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I always got a kick out of watching those ass holes in the middle east shooting their aks off in the air as the late Yassar (now the stiff) made his way through the croud. I figured that was cool because some ass hole was going to "buy it" when the bullet returned close to its place of origin. Darwin must be laughing or singing "another one bites the dust".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts