Gunco Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BREAKING: Judge Upholds Ban on 5.45×39 AK-74 Ammunition

Roughly a year ago the ATF reclassified certain kinds of 5.45x39mm ammunition as “armor piercing” and banned them from importation. This has only been possible with the explosion in “pistol” versions of magazine fed firearms like the AK-74 and AR-15, giving the ATF the legal foothold they need to meet the regulatory requirements for the existing “armor piercing” ammunition ban on the books. One importation company in Redmond, Washington had been given permission to import millions of these rounds from Russia but with the ATF’s change of heart they suddenly found themselves in possession of a metric buttload of ammunition that could not legally be imported into the United States. They did what any red blooded American would do: they sued the Federal Government. A judge in Seattle ruled today, and it isn’t good for those hoping to have their cheap ammo back.

READ MORE

·
aka: SDK1968
7,815 Posts
Bad argument on their part...

They actually said: " 5.56 can penetrate body armor & it's not illegal."

That was never gonna help them.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
The law has nothing to do with actual ability to penetrate armor, any rifle round will likely go through common cop body armor. The law deals with the materials and construction of the bullet. Maybe if it is appealed they can get a better lawyer...

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do hope they appealed the verdict but I have enough for right now. LOL

Most of it I bought for only $0.09 cents per round.
What it is worth right now? Priceless! LOL
Yep. That is why we prep. The uncertainties make us plan for everything we can think of. I laugh when people ask why I have so much ammo. I now have enough for a couple lifetimes (as per my original goal). We used to say "Buy it cheap and stack it deep" exactly for days like those that have come to pass and for what will and may occur in the future.

Also have a little 7N6 ammo (back wall and on the floor under the shelves) and a double stack of 7.62x54r ammo.

Then I have about as much more ammo at a few other locations as well. Glad I stockpiled when I could and while prices were still much much cheaper than now. ;)

Reactions: AKarl_12 and recon

·
aka: SDK1968
7,815 Posts
BB,

i dont have a stockpile like you do... but do have my stuff spread out at a few locations so that no 1 "issue" would ruin/lose it all...

do have more than would live long enough to use, so it is more like some "diversified currency"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts