Gunco Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just given a rifle to work on. It's probably a basket case but it's still fun to play with and I might actually get it to run. The receiver is a MAADI stamped receiver imported by Intrac. I'm thinking this is a kit gun that someone tried to build onto the MAADI receiver.

The bolt will not go into battery with a round. It will not chamber a round at all, although it will close fully on an empty chamber. The muzzle is off to the left about a quarter inch. The stamped receiver is straight and the barrel appears to be straight. The bend looks like it is where the barrel mates with the trunion. What is throwing me off is the hole for the headspace pin is only on the right side of the trunion. Looking into the hole I can clearly see barrel threads and possibly some sort of glue or hardened sealant.

It looks to me like someone glued a threaded barrel into the trunion. I'm not sure but I don't think that there were any stamped MAADI's that had threaded barrels. Weren't they all press in types? All the receiver rivets look original to the receiver. If this is a threaded barrel that was glued into a press in type trunion then that would account for the misalignment.

I've considered attempting to remove the barrel but I'm not sure how. Do I need to remove the sight block first?

Any suggestions for this poor AK? :headspin:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are you trying to say that this AK has a barrel that is pressed into the trunnion and is not even Pinned in place, just some glue in there!!!!

OH, shit, seems Like Informer was trying a new manufacturing technique!!!!

FIRST OFF, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIRE THIS RIFLE, IT IS DANGEROUS AS HELL IN ITS CURRENT STATE!!!!!!!!

"What is throwing me off is the hole for the headspace pin is only on the right side of the trunion".

ON new factory trunnions their is usually only a dimple on the right side of the trunnion, once the barrel is pressed in and headspaced, it is supposed to be drilled from the right side all the way through to the left and then the barrel pin is pressed into place. sounds like this "hack" did not properly drill it completely through, and pin it. LIKE HE SHOULD HAVE!!!

"The bolt will not go into battery with a round. It will not chamber a round at all, although it will close fully on an empty chamber."

This is because the barrel is pressed in too far, (incorrect headspacing) This would keep the bolt from locking into place with a round.

I've considered attempting to remove the barrel but I'm not sure how. Do I need to remove the sight block first?

You do not have to remove the sight block. and since the barrel is not pinned, it should just have to be pressed back out of the trunnion.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would press the barrel out, and then check to see if the guy has the trunnion properly rivited to the receiver. Then I would shitcan the barrel thats in it now and use the receiver as a host for parts kit and rebuild it right!! Also, if this trunnion is not drilled all of the way though, I can gaurantee that this is not the original trunnion that came with the maddi receiver.

WE NEED PICS! WE NEED PICS!! that would show us what the guy in kansas(LOL) really did to this thing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, after cleaning it up at bit I was able to see into the headspace pin hole a lot better and what I thought was JB weld, or glue, was actually just grease/dirt that had been spray painted over.

Anyway, it appears to me that whoever built this gun used a threaded barrel that was already put together and screwed it down nice and tight making the headspace way too tight and thus the gun is not shootable. Also, unfortunately the trunion was poorly threaded so that the barrel is misaligned.

I think that the only fix for this gun is a new trunion and barrel assembly. Since this is a butthole stock MAADI essentially all I have here is a receiver with some very well used spare parts. The bolt/carrier/FCG have all been severely Dremelized with one of those rubber polishing disks. It's a very smooth action but it's also very loose. I'm not sure how it would hold up long term.

This whole thing makes me ask once again, did stamped MAADI receivers come with threaded trunions? If not that would explain a lot since the bubba who built this POS would have had to thread the trunion himself, as long as it was small enough to make barrel threads.

Maybe I can buy the gun off this guy for $50. I'll put a beater parts kit on it and have a nice shooter at least.

Whaddya think? :naughty:

·
Registered
76 Posts
He must have threaded the inside of the trunnion himself. Factory Maddi's are traditional AKM clones, meaning they use barrels that are pressed and pinned in place.

Give the guy $50-75 and you would be buying a nice Factory egyptian AKM receiver, much better then a vulcan or hesse for a kit build. scrap or sale the remaining parts.

I would love to have the receiver from a maddi, I would weld up the length of the ejector a little bit, and use it for my bulgarian AK-74 parts kit :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AK-74Freak said:
He must have threaded the inside of the trunnion himself. Factory Maddi's are traditional AKM clones, meaning they use barrels that are pressed and pinned in place.

Give the guy $50-75 and you would be buying a nice Factory egyptian AKM receiver, much better then a vulcan or hesse for a kit build. scrap or sale the remaining parts.

I would love to have the receiver from a maddi, I would weld up the length of the ejector a little bit, and use it for my bulgarian AK-74 parts kit :)
Sounds like a plan. I wasn't sure about the MAADI trunion being a press'n'pin but from the looks of it that's what it looked like.

Thanks for the help on this. I was thinking of building a 74 also. I guess this might be the ticket if the guy sells it. :smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.