Gunco Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered two sets of grips for my new Ruger pistols, but when I got them I didn't like them. Nothing wrong with them, they just seemed just a little cheap looking. I called Brownells and asked about returning them, they said no problem, just send them back, and they will issue a refund. :thumbup1:

I think I might order imitation stag grips. I don't like those rosewood grips that come with my pistols. But, I think I'm going to look around first before I order anything else.

Here is a picture of my new cowboy guns. :)

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lett? is that a manufacturer or a company that sells grips?

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I like the stag grips on their website

But can't seem to find their web page with the price on them. I'll send them an email.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Brownell's are excellent folks to do business with. Perhaps a bit pricey if you're not a FFL or C&R licensee (I'm given to undertand that they give licensees a break on the price) - basicly standard retail list prices, no discounts. But great selection and service. A Brownell's catalog should be in every gun nut's library.

For handgun grips, I really like Ajax. I think they're on the 'net but don't know. About a year ago I scored one of their last sets of Sanbar stag grips for my S&W Model 10. I guess Sanbar stag is a protected species now.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
A lot of the problem with bone, horn, mother of pearl and stag grips is EPA and OSHA problems in the US. Control of hazardous dust. Most of the big outfits just don't want to deal with it as they don't think the end user is willing to pay a lot more for natural materials vs. something like delrin or micarta. This is happening in the knife business, too. Ivory is a different issue and has to do with protected species.

I seem to recall reading that bone and stag grips were also having a problem in that the materials were being diverted to fertilizer, mostly in the third world, and what little was left for handles or grips was very pricey.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
Brownell's are excellent folks to do business with. Perhaps a bit pricey if you're not a FFL or C&R licensee (I'm given to undertand that they give licensees a break on the price) - basicly standard retail list prices, no discounts. But great selection and service. A Brownell's catalog should be in every gun nut's library.

For handgun grips, I really like Ajax. I think they're on the 'net but don't know. About a year ago I scored one of their last sets of Sanbar stag grips for my S&W Model 10. I guess Sanbar stag is a protected species now.
I've got a dealers FFL, and I get the discount. But actually, they will give most anyone a discount if you tell them you own any kind of retail shop.

I was thinking about buying a set of Ajax grips, and Brownells sells them quite reasonable.

·
Registered
276 Posts
As Dzerhinsky mused above, Brownells does indeed give discounts to FFL holders and not to beat a dead horse, but if you get a C&R license you too can get the discount. And for example, a $28 cleaning rod was discounted to $18 (one third of the cost for the three year license). A fine return on investment if you are a shooter, even if you don't buy any C&R guns. I should warn you though, having the BBT deliver guns to your door directly from the wholesaler can become habit forming. :crackcoke

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
...I seem to recall reading that bone and stag grips were also having a problem in that the materials were being diverted to fertilizer, mostly in the third world, and what little was left for handles or grips was very pricey.
I paid $90 (!!!!!!!!!!) for my set, and at the time I ordered their catalog stipulated that they were down to the last few in stock and would not be getting any more.

I was shocked, but had recently gotten my handgun engraved and it deserved fancy grips.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked with the Ajax website and it states the scarcity of stag is because of a permanent ban by the government of India on raw stag material.

http://www.ajaxgrips.com/ajax/ajax?set=02

Guess I'll settle for the simulated stag.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Wow! Prices have more than doubled in just a couple of years!!!

Glad I got mine when I did. I noted that they're out of ones for K-frame S&W's.

I've got a personal problem with imitation anything on a firearm. I think that smooth or jigged bone grips would be nice on a handgun, and would be affordable, but I may be the only one who thinks so because I know of nobody who sells them.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, me too. If I can find a nice set of jigged elk I would be satisfied. I'm going to do some searching in various catalogs and on websites before I buy anything.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
That "Faux Ivory" stuff with the bone dust in it ages nicely.
Seems like there was some company making grips out of Moose antler too at one time, but I don't remember who it was.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Brownells has absolutely the best customer service in the firearms industry, bar none.

I do a lot of smithing for friends and club members
I work on a lot of different firearms from skeet guns to bolt actions, pistols as well.
So I deal with them a lot, generally 4 or 5 orders a month.
Many times it's only a pin, a spring or some other small part.

It seems no matter what type of gun I'm working on, they always have the part and it is shipped within hours of ordering.
Plus they have lightweight order shipping, small parts ship for $3.75

1 - 18 of 18 Posts