Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Chinese Connection
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sit here and look over the guns, I notice my Cetme and Saiga mag look very alike, I just like to know if I can use 2 G3 Mag to build a Saiga 12 high Cap Mag ???? the 8rd Saiga 12 cost about $80-$100, 2 G3 mags cost around $5 here are some pic,

Attachments

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Damn man you might just be really on to something there. How many fit into one G3 mag?

·
Chinese Connection
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PT, I can fit 5 rd in Cetme Mag. what do you think, can this be work ???

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Well, I know that there's a guy out there (BattlerifleG3) that has been working on a Saiga .308 conversion so it can use G3 mags. I think its definitely possible, and if you can cut and reweld two of those together you'd have a 9 or 10 round Saiga 12 mag! How sick is that, lol?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think I may have seen one that has actually been done, and functional, but I have to check with the source to be sure... two cetme mags modified and welded together, but again... I can't say for sure....

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Yeah that's a good idea. The Cetme mags can be welded together and some have done that. FAL mags may even be easier, because of how they lock up. Since they are usually steel you could weld them easier too.

You can weld a bead up on the front & back then dremel it to shape. Hrm that's a good idea!

There are 30-round FAL mags out there (South Africa origin IIRC) which are the 'best' 30-rounder FALs.

While I don't think that would count as a US part, I think the floorplates could be done up cheap. Those are really just a piece of metal - more like an AR floorplate. Put a US floorplate on it for another US part ;)

Be careful how many you add - can't go over 10 rounds otherwise it is a DD by the ATF's definition. You could make an 8- or 9-rounder and be OK. But don't do a 10-rounder - 10+1 could get you in trouble I think. Not worth it for 1 round anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are also 30rd G3 mags, but the only ones I've seen have a tapered nose instead of the flat nose of that CETME mag.

·
Registered
158 Posts
"Be careful how many you add - can't go over 10 rounds otherwise it is a DD by the ATF's definition "

NO ! There is ABSOLUTELY NO LAW OR ATF RULING THAT STATES THIS.

Using the ATF's previous ruling on AWB high capacity ' manufacturing ' - they said if you take a high cap and altered it to fit a new firearm AND it no longer fit the original firearm - it was a new high cap magazine -therefore if the altered CETME magazine doesn't fit the CETME , it should be a NEW magazine - a new US MADE magazine.

I bet you would have to make a new follower , and a floorplate coud be a flat piece of steel , so tada ! Three US made parts !

·
Chinese Connection
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think FAL mag will work at this point. FAL mag are too smell for 12 Ga

·
Chinese Connection
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
very very close, just need polish and cliping to do , alos I found something eles for mag follower....... I was think, if you open the mag, can we use the botton part of mags and reseve use as follower ???

k, here is how it go, you open the mag and you got this

and you just flip the spring around

put it back together, and you got a Mag follower

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I think you would have to grind down that rivet but other than that it's a great idea.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
That will probably seize because it doesn't have the sidebars that the normal follower has, which keeps the follower flat in relation to the top of the mag.

What's wrong with the normal follower?

·
Chinese Connection
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pookiek, peoples said I had to build a new follower, I was like why? it working well and fit, in your point of view , what you think this idea, will this work for siaga ??

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
New follower? Hrm I don't know. I think not, personally. I think the normal follower would work, but you'll need to test w/ rounds to ensure it will cycle & feed properly.

Notice how the normal follower has "sidebars" that keep it from tilting in the magazine? That's why I don't think that idea would work. If it tilts too far it will fail to feed. Any FTF means basically you'd have to cycle the mag or slap the side of the mag to keep it feeding - NOT good.

Now thinking about that big hump on the side of the follower, if you wanted to remove that, you could remove the spring and hammer on the top, using a metal bar or socket or something as an anvil, and flatten it out some. Don't really think it would matter to be honest. OTOH you could put something like bondo or JB weld on the other side to build it up and make it flatter.

Still I think this is a good idea! May have to buy a Saiga-12 to monkey with the mags! Item #452 on my to-do list. ;)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You could probably bend some 18 gauge (mabe thinner) sheet metal and make a smooth follower very easily

·
Registered
823 Posts
for that matter you could just bend you own mag body as well. I don't see where it would be any more difficult to do.bend it in a "U" shape and cut out a plate to weld up the rear to make the box, bend tabs on the bottom to hold the floor plate on and weld the top of the saiga mag to it and whallah! new mag.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I just put up a trade offer to trade my auto ordnance 1911A1 for a saiga 12 here on the trader to see what I can do to make a hicap for it.

I wish I had one already so I could try my theory out and save my .45 hehe

1 - 20 of 34 Posts