Gunco Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a Bulgarian kit from Centerfire, and now I'm wondering if I newbied myself...
Can I use a stamped receiver, if I was planning on getting a different stock anyway, or do I need a milled receiver???
I realize a milled receiver could cost some big cash, and I don't want to go that route.
Should I ship it back, and trade it in for an AMD-63 kit?
Should I save some cash, bite the bullet, and get the milled receiver?
Should I take up basket weaving?
Any help at all would be appreciated much...:scared:

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
MAYBE... after a machining operation is completed....

You must find someone with a metal working lathe to "turn down" the threads, making a slip-on barrel. You are basically cutting off the threaded section. It is threaded, right?

If you have a caliper, please measure the narrowest part of the threads. You should be able to determine approximate size. You'll need either 23mm for a Euro-style trunion. *IF* its less than 23mm, then you can sleeve it or simply use a 19mm trunion from Globaltrades.

The only other problem as I see it, you will have to get a new buttstock, which depending on your plans you may decide to get anyway, so this is not a problem to me. The milled buttstocks don't have that extra material to slip into the receiver.

SO... if all this is too much, or you simply have no lathe available to you, then send it back.

If only I had my mini-lathe... I'd offer to turn the threads down m'self. Gotta pay off that mill first :D

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
It depends what you want. I had a milled receiver put on to a Polish underfolder kit. It is my favorite AK. Although not true, everyone consideres the milled to be the original AK. There is something substantial about it. Talk with the guys David or Mike at the Firing Line. They are really good guys to work with, don't require up front funds and you will have a bad ass weapon. If you are not going the milled route. and you don't want to do a lot of dremel machining of the old trunion stub, send it back. But believe me, I love my "stamped" receiver AKs, but they are not the milled by a long shot. Jack

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the firing line receiver just might be the way to go although it looks like it costs $389, if i am not mistaken. it may save you enough in tools to be worth it however, and the build should be really easy. just screw in the barrel, and assemble. no riveting, no pressing, no drilling, dremeling, etc. the other advantage would be that the receiver counts as one us part, and also eliminates the trunion from eligible parts on the gun, bringing it down to 15. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe this would make only 4 us parts neccesary, and you already have one. so get a $25 fcg in a group buy, and other than furniture your rifle is complete. I wish you luck in your decision making, and by all means let us all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Use a stamped receiver.

sks_hunter said:
just bought a Bulgarian kit from Centerfire, and now I'm wondering if I newbied myself...
Can I use a stamped receiver, if I was planning on getting a different stock anyway, or do I need a milled receiver???
I realize a milled receiver could cost some big cash, and I don't want to go that route.
Should I ship it back, and trade it in for an AMD-63 kit?
Should I save some cash, bite the bullet, and get the milled receiver?
Should I take up basket weaving?
Any help at all would be appreciated much...:scared:
Basket weaving ain?t bad; you can use them to carry your ammo around or to put the empty brass in. Getting back to the making of empty brass, Use a stamped receiver and buy a rear trunnion. You?ll need someone with a mill to mill the front trunnion down to size, it can be done by hand but personally I?m getting too old for that. There is also a DVD out that shows ?How to build your own AK-47 from a kit? and he uses a milled receiver kit and shows you how to fit it to a stamped receiver. I just got a copy week before last, it didn?t look that hard but I?ve got Carpal Tunnel and the filing of the trunnion would kill me. I?d be happy to loan you the DVD but I just put it on eBay today so I can?t lend it out now, sorry

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
febisfebi said:
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe this would make only 4 us parts neccesary, and you already have one.
Yeah, sounds right to me... going to use a muzzle brake?

A milled rifle without a muzzle brake needs 4 US parts.
W/ brake, 5.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check out Global Trades/Arsenal USA for your receiver. IIRC, they say that their thicker (1.6 mm) stamped receiver is the same thickness as a milled one. They also have a wide selection of trunions and related parts for just about every type AK made.

I can vouch for their quality. I recently got one of their receivers and it is quality, through and through.

·
Registered
954 Posts
tac-40 said:
Check out Global Trades/Arsenal USA for your receiver. IIRC, they say that their thicker (1.6 mm) stamped receiver is the same thickness as a milled one. They also have a wide selection of trunions and related parts for just about every type AK made.

I can vouch for their quality. I recently got one of their receivers and it is quality, through and through.
I doubt the Global stamped reciever is the same thickness of a milled one. I never even held a milled AK before, but from pics it looks like they have a wall thickness of at least 1/8". The 1.6mm stamped reciever matches the thickness of the Chinese AKs.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just a quick update on this little gem, now that I've got it... it's from centerfire, and it's absolutely gorgeous!!!! not a nick, scratch, no nuthin!!! BRAND FRICKEN NEW!!!

*no muzzle attachment,barrel not threaded.
*press-n-pin barrel, 23 mm standard. (Front and rear trunions needed)
*beautiful thumbhole stock, stained solid redwood color, just came out of the factory!
*factory semi-auto FCG
*no bayo lug
*5-round detachable waffle mag
NO evil features???
the only thing that will make the build a challenge is that the thumbhole stock is made for a milled receiver. VERY SMALL amount of filing/shaping needed for fittment to standard rear trunion. No sweat.
If you guys have been looking at the Bulgies from centerfire thinking you need a milled receiver, that's a myth. it will work well with a stamped receiver, near as hotbarrel and I can tell. ONE GORGEOUS RIFLE for 129 bucks!!! Can't wait to get this baby runnin!!!:rockin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts