Gunco Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was a learning experience and exponentially more difficult than an AR 15 build but it is done. :thumbup1:
Kit was from Akron Armory and in new condition and I used a Tapco Flat for the receiver.
Rifle is a Bulgy AR M1 in 5.45x39.

I home improvised a couple of jigs and fixtures to do the rivets and re-install the barrell and pin into the trunion.

I ended up with a couple very small dings in the receiver during the build process but overall I am very pleased with the outcome.

The rifle feeds, fires and extracts with no problems. The Action, to me, is surprisingly smooth.

Sighted it in today and was able to hold about a 2" group at 30 yards for 2 mags full, shooting while leaning against a tree in my back yard, firing at a relatively fast pace ie; as fast as I could reaquire a sight picture.

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes I know that's not a combat distance but FWIW I'm suffering the effects of Macular Degeneration and have a real hard time focussing on my open sights at anything much past 25 yds. anymore. And to be realistically honest I do most of my rifle shooting with either a Scope or Holo Sight anymore.

But most of all, I was very surprised at the lack of recoil. This is the first 5.45x39 that I've shot so I only had the M4\AR15 and the 7.62x39 to use for pre-comparison.
Controlabillity was excellant and follow up shots were easily at about a half second apart at most.

Thanks and appreciations to many but especially to Disconnector, Steelcore, Etek, and HCPookie for their help, guidance and information, as well as their "You can do this" attitude.

Now it's on to my AMD65 kit. With a minor break to enjoy this one for a bit.

Here is a link to view my photo's;
http://community.webshots.com/album/225540531knQqBo

Fords and Chevy's kill more people than guns do, let's ban them.

Pro 2-A Anglican American

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Nice to see another AK-74 completed. Good job also.

Unless you machined yor AR receiver, it's more like an assembly that a build. I just love getting an AK blank and making it into a finished rifle. Feels like you did more that just assemble it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Toten Kopf said:
Nice to see another AK-74 completed. Good job also.

Unless you machined yor AR receiver, it's more like an assembly that a build. I just love getting an AK blank and making it into a finished rifle. Feels like you did more that just assemble it.
Yes, definitely. The "74 build" was far more involved than the "assembly of the AR". Especially building the Jigs and Fixtures and all of the fitting that was necessary between the Trunions and the Receiver, not to mention drilling out the old rivets and the hand filing and grinding that was needed to make things fit just right.

On a sense of accomplishment scale of 1-10, definitely a 10.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cephus said:
Great job you make it look easy,I realy like the improvised tools that's what I do. I built a a jig that makes my blanks then I use the left overs to make my rails.Ain't this a great hobby and the best place with all these guys that are ready to help.
OH WELCOME if I haven't said it before and if I have WELCOME anyway.
Thanks for the Welcome. I've found this site and the "Files" to be the more informative forums with much less BS Factor. And so far I've not seen the Elitist 'tudes that are also very prevalent on a couple of the other sites.

As far as being easy, I'll give it about a 6-7 on a 1-10 scale.
Somewhere between a First Poopie Diaper change:sick:
and building a Big Block Pontiac Motor.
The next one will be easier still.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Both nice rifles and builds!!!!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Great job! Makes you feel good to build something like that and to find out it shoots smooth and could hit a flea's ass at 30 yards.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for all the approving comments. They are appreciated!
Again, I think that this site has a far better bunch of folks who are more helpfull and generous with the sharing of knowledge and experiences than some of the other forums where snobbery and flaming seem to run rampant.
Yes the other sites have lot's of good info too, if you can put up with the BS.
I stopped visiting the forums for a couple years for the most part because of the bickering and infighting.
Glad I found this place.

Pookie, yes it was a heck of a pop. It was during a Barrel pin installation.
I was actually able to weld it back together, which held until I smacked it with the hammer again. Then I just gave up and bought a much bigger vice for actually only about $20 more from HF and was then able to finish the pin.

Oh and I believe it was your Plinkers jig down at the VA buildfest that gave me the idea to build my own rendition. Wish you could have come, it was a hoot.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Nice. Bought an identical kit, am waiting on the receiver, and can't wait to get the thing built.

Great job. Love those AKs, and this site is truly the most imformative, non BS gun board out there.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Del,
The rifle looks great, is that the receiver you bent using my jig? I also had a plinker's rivet jig going there that day.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steelcore, yes that was the Receiver that I bent using your tools and now that you mention it it might very well have been your rivet jig that we were using and not Pookies.

Shadow, I used a box frame built from square 2.5 in. posts and a twelve ton bottle jack to press in the barrel. I used a piece of cardboard to design and fit a jig made of 3/8in. steel welded together, to hold the trunion in place and aligned with the receiver and barrel. While crude it actually worked very well, it gave me a flat spot to set on top of the bottle Jack and had equal pressure at three contact points inside the trunion, but still left room for the barrel to pass through. It took a good deal of fitting to get just right but it did work and did not tear up the trunion or the receiver in the process.

Then I tried to imitate the Plinkers jig. I cut about a 6in. square of 3/8in. steel for a base then I cut a 2.5 in. diameter fence post for the upright tube. I then slotted the front and back of the tube so that I could put a hardened bolt through it and a floating center shaft. The bolt was cut to length and was ground flat on the top and bottom to fit inside of the receiver.

For the floating center shaft, I used, since I did not have any solid steel, three consecutively larger diameter sections of pipe. Starting with 1in. and ending with 2in.
I pounded the sections of pipe inside of each other and then welded a washer to one end for strength and a Two and a half inch square piece of stainless steel to the other end to set the Jack on top of. Then I drilled a hole through the pipe sections that would hold the bolt snugly in place. Voila, Rivet Jig.

Also sort of crude but worked like a charm, I cut a section of bar stock and drilled a small hole for the head of the rivet to sit down into. I clamped the base plate of the jig to the stand that I made from the square posts, put the rivets in the holes, set the bolt on top of the rivets, set the bottle Jack on top of the floating sections of pipe. When I raised the Jack it pressed down on the rivets and crushed them perfectly.

All of the materials that I used I found lying around my garage, I already had a MIG welder from repairing a couple lawn mower decks a few years ago, I'm glad that I finally found another use for it. LOL!

Time consuming yes, but I spent at least as much time building the trunion jig and the rivet crusher as I did anything else but it sure made light work of putting the rest of my kit together.

As a complete novice it took me four weekends to build this kit.

Price of the kit $189.00.
Price of the U.S. made parts about $100.00 including the fine RSA FCG.
Cost of crap laying around the garage, $0.00
Value of knowledge gained and sense of self of satisfaction,
Priceless.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh and lest I forget my manners, Thanks to all for the favorable comments. They are appreciated!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts