Gunco Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While still waiting for Global to ship my receiver to my FFL, I have been reading all of the posts here at GUNCO. I just finished the one about the SAIGA conversions' which was really informative. Being new to AK style rifles, I compared my (hopefully) soon to be assembled AMD-63 with the SAIGA conversion procedure just to familiarize myself with the parts and process. One thing got my interest. The SAIGA conversion said that a bullet guide must be installed to allow the conversion to double stack mags. When I looked at the SAIGA photos and compared them to my AMD-63, they looked the same. I have a large rivet that is installed in the trunion and is flush with the top of the trunion where the barrel breech is. So my question is: Does the AMD-63 trunion have a built in bullet guide or am I missing one from my kit?

I did feed several rounds by hand out of a mag and they went into the breech easily.

·
Registered
76 Posts
yes the amd-63 trunnion has the bullet guide rivited on to it. I never owned a saiga, but I heard that the bullet guide was built into the low cap magazines.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just curious

I'll have to wait until I go home to look at my AMD-65. I wondered the same thing as I read through the Saiga conversion site.

Has anyone built up a (Tiger) sniper rifle out of the Saiga .308 version?

Yours,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bullet Guide

The Saiga's don't have a bullet guide. They are built into the low cap mag. I ordered one from K-Var and glued it in place , using "Duramix" A metal Binding Glue that auto body shops use. Runs and performs flawlessly. Most people drill , tap , and run a screw in to hold them in place.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
tac-40 said:
I have a large rivet that is installed in the trunion and is flush with the top of the trunion where the barrel breech is. So my question is: Does the AMD-63 trunion have a built in bullet guide or am I missing one from my kit?
That rivet is that you are looking at is what connects the bullet guide to the trunion. Looking down, that small piece of metal with the rivet is actually the bullet guide, not the trunion. Turn it upside down and look at the bottom of the rivet, that is the trunion.

Look at any of the photos on K-Var's website for comparison, there you'll see the trunions without the bullet guides:

http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=216&1=269&3=427

hth,
- Jerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts