Gunco Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bunch of 308 AP bullet heads, I was going to load them but it got complicated with the legalitys. I was told that the 308 bullets would work in 7.64x54 but not be accurate becuase they are slightly undersize. .... here is my question , Will the 308 bullets work for 303 in my enfield if I load them up?? :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
projectile diameter for the 303 is in the .311" to .312" range. could be even slightly larger than the 7.62, which is roughly .310" to .311". I have used handloads with the SKS with 125 and 150 grain .308" bullets, and some of them shoot alot better than the Barnaul or Wolf I normally plink with.
To be sure of actual bore diameter, you could get yourself a barrel slugging kit from midwayusa or brownell's, and go from there.
As for safety, just make sure your brass is sized and trimmed properly, and that there is no throat erosion in the barrel. There shouldn't be any signs of excess pressures due to using a slightly smaller bullet (flattened primer edges, bulged or split cases...etcetera..)
as for accuracy...
all you can do is try it. it's kind of hit or miss on this one. you may be able to tweak the charge a little to dial it in, and it may even be fairly accurate. like I said with the SKS, I had to play with a couple different recipes, but got a couple of different bullets to shoot really well.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
realy all I care about is they come out of the rite end.
then this should be a good place to use up my AP heads. thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts