Gunco Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what to make of this. Perhaps Arnold needs to have some CINC experience?

State may be getting new militia
Sacramento Bee ^ | 12/19/4 | Jim Sanders

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger recently signed two new laws extending fringe benefits to members of the California Naval Militia, but here's the catch: No such agency exists.

SB 1322 promises educational incentives and SB 1193 guarantees a $10,000 death benefit tied to service in the naval militia. Don't bother inquiring - you're not eligible.

But that could change soon.

The legislation, effective New Year's Day, is setting the stage for a future branch of the state Military Department that would have dual state and federal status like the California National Guard.

While the National Guard's members are affiliates of the U.S. Army and Air Force, however, the California Naval Militia would be reserves from the Navy, Marine Corps and, to a lesser extent, from the U.S. Coast Guard.

Extensive deployment of National Guard troops to Iraq, coupled with the potential for local terrorism, has increased momentum to create a new federally trained force that could be activated quickly in a state emergency.

Plans for the naval militia do not envision a fighting force, but no decision has been made on whether members ever would bear arms, officials said.

The militia could help patrol the state's hundreds of miles of shoreline or its several dozen ports and harbors, if asked. It also could provide special skills - such as underwater diving - that might not be readily available elsewhere.

"I think it's an outstanding idea," said state Brig. Gen. Thomas Swidler, head of the State Military Reserve, which has extensively researched the concept. "It fills in a gap, gives us resources we don't currently have. And it's tremendously effective from a cost viewpoint."

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Wonder if they are taking 62 year old corpsmen???????????

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Hell, all they have to do is give authoritah and a pittance and benefits to the beach bums, surfers, and scuba divers and I guarantee, no one would make it within veiw of the California coast.
Theyd save billions.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
I thought the Oakland Ferry was the CA navy. :lol:

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I wonder if this navy will have 50 caliber machine guns?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts