Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my AK's but getting an FAL has definitely been a dream come true for me. I was thinking of building one (or more), but ended up selling my FAL stuff and then a few months later fate made it so I was able to own an FAL built by Rich at CGW. I am quite happy with it and get to take it out shooting on the 16th. Now to the subject of the post, what kind of camo job if any at all is on your FAL. Mine is done in a Rhodesian camo pattern, and now I wonder if the same pattern would look good on an AK ;).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Camo

sniper69 said:
I love my AK's but getting an FAL has definitely been a dream come true for me. I was thinking of building one (or more), but ended up selling my FAL stuff and then a few months later fate made it so I was able to own an FAL built by Rich at CGW. I am quite happy with it and get to take it out shooting on the 16th. Now to the subject of the post, what kind of camo job if any at all is on your FAL. Mine is done in a Rhodesian camo pattern, and now I wonder if the same pattern would look good on an AK ;).
I have been biten by the camo bug too. Ever since i saw a post last week. Iv'e not ever done one , but hey , I am a painter. I will find out how . :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
My L1A1 is crudely parked right now. I've pondered the idea of a camo job on it. I can't decide because I really like the looks of a really well done matte black finish as well. At any rate mine will have to be refinished one way or the other.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Is your cammo done by Rich as well? If so I know it is flat *****en. Some of the paint jobs he does are just absolutely out of this world. I have been using Norrell's Moly resin in the past but I just ordered up some of Lauer's Duracoat so we shall see. I am assisting a buddy in putting together a Cali legal StG kit. He is an accessory queen so it has been kind of cool because he is open to just about everything. I tend to keep my stuff fairly stock but my bud is putting all kinds of doo-hickies into it. Folding charge handle, inch pattern selector, Tapco stripper clip top cover, SAW grip and shoulder stock, sling thingy from Scheider Machine. I haven't showed him the sights that Dan at VOW makes but you know he'll have to have one of them too. I helped him parkerize all the parts for it last weekend and he is chomping at the bit. I think we will shoot the stocks O.D. green and maybe do the control surfaces in black. I need to experiment/practice on the whole cammo thing for a while and then we'll see what kind of cool stuff I can make.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Rich did the Rhodesian camo job. My rifle was pictured on his site for a while, but the latest Rhodesian camo that he did is on there now. I got lucky in that I had won the gunsmith services of Rich (raffle from another website). I had to supply the parts and Rich did the assembly, carbine barrel, and camo job. I will have to take some pics and get them posted, it is a beautiful FAL (and my first). My Ak's quiver with the camo'd beauty along side them. I will try to get some pics taken of it tonight and posted.

·
Registered
286 Posts
sniper69 said:
Yes Rich did the Rhodesian camo job. My rifle was pictured on his site for a while, but the latest Rhodesian camo that he did is on there now. I got lucky in that I had won the gunsmith services of Rich (raffle from another website). I had to supply the parts and Rich did the assembly, carbine barrel, and camo job. I will have to take some pics and get them posted, it is a beautiful FAL (and my first). My Ak's quiver with the camo'd beauty along side them. I will try to get some pics taken of it tonight and posted.
Win that on one of Jen's raffles over at the Files?

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rule .308 said:
Win that on one of Jen's raffles over at the Files?
Yes it was the one that the drawing was held at Midnight Halloween night. I was the lucky winner of grand prize #2. Funny thing was that I looked at the prizes and said to myself which ones I would like. Never in my life would I have thought that I would win something, let alone the second prize. I'm usually the unluckiest person alive when it comes to raffles and contests.

·
Registered
286 Posts
sniper69 said:
I'm usually the unluckiest person alive when it comes to raffles and contests.
I hear that. Had a similar experience when I put $10.00 in the hat at the very last Great Western Gunshow in Pomona for one of the "new" 3.5" chamber 12 Ga Mossy Goose guns. Well needless to say, that was the one and only thing I have ever won like that. Damned if it wasn't just the coolest thing in the world though. :D

I like the Fal Files, I started on the internet in places like Tuco's and the old IFD board building and learning about FALs and milsurps. This place has got a real nice core group of users, admins, and mods I think it could turn into a really nice place to spend some time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i am camoing mine in a true south vietnam tiger stripe which contains about 6 or 7 different colors. IF i ever finish it i will post some pictures

·
Registered
286 Posts
GUNMAN181 said:
i am camoing mine in a true south vietnam tiger stripe which contains about 6 or 7 different colors. IF i ever finish it i will post some pictures
I have some Duracoat coming in the mail right now and while I was at the Shot Show I picked up a DVD from Steve Lauer on how to use his product. It was actually fairly informative. The tigerstriped FAL that you see on his website was actually done by just tearing strips of masking tape lengthwise and sticking them to the stock. They showed them doing one and it looked like with a little trial and error you could do it no problem. I am going to do it with my airbrush of course, but the HVLP (high velocity low pressure) rig sure looked like the way to go. If I like the way the stuff works I may very well invest in a cheaper HVLP unit. Now the ovens he has on that DVD, they are the cat's ass for sure. More than tall enough to hang barreled actions in them, shelved if needs be, both a timer and a thermostat, dutch doors, and they can be run clear up 425 degrees.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a pic of the FAL Rich at CGW built for me with the Rhodesian pattern camo.

Is anyone else going to post some cool pics also?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts