Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some guys I know say an AK is not enough gun to hunt deer with. deer here run up to 200 pounds. If I use a five round mag do you think my AK is no good for hunting. how about differant ammo brands will this help?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
It's fine and I have hunted with mine, but never taken one. Get some good ammo like UMC and just be sure you're not trying to take deer at 300 yards :D

The ballistics for the 762X39 round are very much the same for the 30.30 round which has taken more deer in North America than just about anything else.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
As stated above, I think the ammo choice, would be my only concern.

The rifle is certainly up to the task

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys . I think I will head out in the woods this fall with a polish biuld. I will be the only one out their with a gun I made myself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The 7.63X39 is equal to the 30X30 in most respects. I have taken over a dozen deer with my SKS when I lived in Maine. One Shot Kills, 10 out of 12,It doesn't get any better than that.

·
Registered
681 Posts
A 7.62x39 would definitely be enough gun. I'd much rather that than say, a 243 or 223. Put it this way... If you wieghed 200 plus, do you think this .310" hunk-o-lead delivered to your boiler room at 22-25 hundred feet per second drop you? :dunno:
OH YEAH :rockin:
Handlods would only make them more lethal.... :headbang:
See ya in the woods with my SKS.... or maybe a new build???

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
My first Ak (a norinco hunter) was used for a few deer seasons, before I was silly enough to sell it (hindsight is always 20/20). With winchester softpoints it was a pretty good shooter with good enough accuracy to be able to take a deer. As long as there are no laws in your state barring you from hunting with an Ak, I say go for it.

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
scubadvr said:
Not in Pennsylvania
Jack is that because of the rifle or the round?

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
I think a stripped SKS would be a better choice, it is a little more accurate, more conventional looking and you are not likely to be confused for a terrorist and shot at !<grin>

·
Registered
681 Posts
Chiroone said:
I think a stripped SKS would be a better choice, it is a little more accurate, more conventional looking and you are not likely to be confused for a terrorist and shot at !<grin>

Yeah, but if you are shot at, just the thought of being able to instantly presto chango to a 30 or 40 rounder might oughta get some attention in itself!!! :ar15:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I shot a doe last year at about 63 yards according to my tape measure with Barnul hollow points.In the season of 95 I shot one with the same ammo but with a Russian SKS .One shot right through the neck at a paced off 385 yards.Luckiest shot I ever made. I bet I could shoot up a train load of ammo and never do that again.My son in laws father sitting next to me about crapped his pants. :) I always take my AK along dont always use it though unless I gotta do a lot of walking as it is so much easier to carry than my Mauser in 35 Whelen Imp and doesnt recoil at all compared to the Mauser. :headspin:

·
Registered
20 Posts
sks_hunter:

You should not put the .243 in the same class as the .223. I have killed numerous deer with my Ruger M-77 .243 and every one was a 1 shot kill from at least 100 yards, some were further away. The animals went down so fast that it looked like they just disappeared or the earth opened up and swallowed them. The .243 is inordinately powerful for it's size and ballistics experts don't know exactly why it is so. The .243 has been used to make 1 shot kills on African lions. I wouldn't hesitate to use the .243 on any North American thin skinned game out to 500 yards with the proper bullets.

·
Registered
681 Posts
my thoughts on the .243....
I know alot of people who use them and like them, and I appologize if I sounded like I was bashing them, because they both are excellent calibers (.223 & .243).
I just prefer a bigger hunk o lead
the .243 in WSSM would be a better choice for me... Super screamin fast lots o energy

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 7.62 is adequate for deer (basically a .30-30). You just need to make you check with your state laws and be sure you are legal as to the firearm. Some states limit mag capacity to five rounds and you cannot have a magazine with greater than five rounds on you.

·
Registered
681 Posts
correct you are, jdg...

up here in Maine it's five rounds max. I have a Zytel 5-round detachable that works well. But, make sure your firearm is legal... good point.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I hunted last year with my mak90. Let me just say......my friends were scared to be around me. I live in georgia and you can only have a 5 round mag. But I had 30 extra rounds on hand just in case.

Mark

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well a Sporter model SKS that uses AK mags worked for me on a 100 yard shot at a deer and I have the skin to prove it.
Blowed the 4 point's heart into pieces and he ran 75 yards before running into a tree.
I have been pulling the bullets from military surplus ammo and seating Hornady 125gr soft point bullets since the late 1980's. Friends have used my home made soft point ammo to kill dozens of deer in the last 15 years with SKS's.

·
Registered
72 Posts
scubadvr said:
Winn, Pa does not allow the use of simi autos for hunting.
what if you got a gas block? i guess it's still a semi, but...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts