Gunco Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One side of the receiver on my SAR-1 is about 1mm shorter than the other side. Because of this my barrel is canted toward the shorter side.

Can this be done to fix the cant?? :
Press out the barrel pin
Press out the barrel
Weld up the pin groove on the barrel
Press barrel back
Headspace the barrel
Drill new groove on the barrel
Reinstall barrel pin

Let me know all ye AK building Gods! :thankyou:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Does it shoot straight ?

Is there a functioning problem ?

If there isn't , it is cosmetic , leave it alone.

It is entirely probable that on side of the receiver could be slightly longer than the other , but that the receiver holes , trunion holes , and rivets all line up correctly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Triangle 66 said:
Does it shoot straight ?

Is there a functioning problem ?

If there isn't , it is cosmetic , leave it alone.

It is entirely probable that on side of the receiver could be slightly longer than the other , but that the receiver holes , trunion holes , and rivets all line up correctly.
AFAIK it functions fine.

Yes, it's most likely cosmetic, but I don't like it and want it fixed.

That is what I said above. One side of the receiver is about 1mm shorter than the other side... thus causing the cant.

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
Diverdown said:
One side of the receiver on my SAR-1 is about 1mm shorter than the other side. Because of this my barrel is canted toward the shorter side.

Can this be done to fix the cant?? :
Press out the barrel pin
Press out the barrel
Weld up the pin groove on the barrel
Press barrel back
Headspace the barrel
Drill new groove on the barrel
Reinstall barrel pin

Let me know all ye AK building Gods! :thankyou:

The barrel will line up with hole in the trunnion. If the trunnion isn't parallel to the receiver, the barrel won't be either. Removing and reinstalling the barrel really wouldn't have any effect on the cant. You could try it, but I'd bet this wouldn't fix the cant.

The only real way to fix this would be to remove the barrel. Remove the trunnion. Weld the rivet holes in the receiver closed and grind smooth. Square the end of the reciever. Reinstall the trunnion. Reinstall and headspace the barrel. Refinish the rifle.

Another (remote) possibility would be that the barrel hole in the trunnion isn't machined exactly. The trunnion casting may have been just slightly off in the jig when the barrel hole was bored. If this were the case, replacing the trunnion would be the only real option. If you have to go this route, use a Bulgarian or Hungarian trunnion as a replacement.

Can you tell if the trunnion is slightly crooked in the receiver? Can you tell if the trunnion is square and the barrel is crooked? Hold a straight edge against the sides of the receiver to help check the alignment.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rhino_66 said:
Can you tell if the trunnion is slightly crooked in the receiver? Can you tell if the trunnion is square and the barrel is crooked? Hold a straight edge against the sides of the receiver to help check the alignment.
If you look at the front of the receiver, you can see that the trunion is dipped to one side. About 1MM. This is what is causing the sights to tilt to one side.

Everything is lined up on the barrel rear sight, gas block and front sight. They just tilt to the side of the receiver that is shorter.

I'm no AK builder so my idea may sound ignorant. But why can't the barrel be rotated an 1/8" or so, so that the sights are visually straight up and down???
And then re-pinned?

Is the barrel indexed in the trunion somehow?

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
Diverdown said:
If you look at the front of the receiver, you can see that the trunion is dipped to one side. About 1MM. This is what is causing the sights to tilt to one side.

Everything is lined up on the barrel rear sight, gas block and front sight. They just tilt to the side of the receiver that is shorter.

I'm no AK builder so my idea may sound ignorant. But why can't the barrel be rotated an 1/8" or so, so that the sights are visually straight up and down???
And then re-pinned?

Is the barrel indexed in the trunion somehow?
I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I was thinking the receiver was shorter down the long length of the sides and that the end of the barrel was off to the left or right. You're saying that if you look down the muzzle of the rifle, the trunnion and barrel don't align at 12:00, they're rotated to a few minutes before or after 12:00.

OK... Yes, you can easily fix this by either redoing the barrel pin notch, or by straightening all the barrel blocks. If you're happy with the alignment of the RSB, gas block, and FSB, just redo the barrel pin.

The barrel doesn't have any index other than the gas port and extractor cut.

Both of my WUM-1 kit barrels are rotated so that the barrel blocks are off to the left side. The barrel pin notch is already drilled and the rifle is headspaced, but the barrel pin is not installed. The barrel block pin holes are drilled, but the pins are not installed. I'm going to realign the barrel blocks to fix the problem because none of the blocks line up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rhino_66 said:
I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I was thinking the receiver was shorter down the long length of the sides and that the end of the barrel was off to the left or right. You're saying that if you look down the muzzle of the rifle, the trunnion and barrel don't align at 12:00, they're rotated to a few minutes before or after 12:00.

OK... Yes, you can easily fix this by either redoing the barrel pin notch, or by straightening all the barrel blocks. If you're happy with the alignment of the RSB, gas block, and FSB, just redo the barrel pin.

The barrel doesn't have any index other than the gas port and extractor cut.

Both of my WUM-1 kit barrels are rotated so that the barrel blocks are off to the left side. The barrel pin notch is already drilled and the rifle is headspaced, but the barrel pin is not installed. The barrel block pin holes are drilled, but the pins are not installed. I'm going to realign the barrel blocks to fix the problem because none of the blocks line up.
All the blocks line up now, so I would think turning the barrel and re-pinning it would do the trick.

Now I need to find an AK smith to do it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys!

I wanted to make sure this could be done, before I send it off.

It is now in the hands of my gunsmith.

Now I patiently wait.....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
magnus392 said:
Hope it worked out and please keep us in the loop on this:D
Oh I will! I can't wait to post pics when I finally get my AK's finished!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts