Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the problem... see diagram below.

I have the PVC coming down the inside corner of the closet terminating in a hose adapter. Using a circular saw, I am going to cut a 2"x8" channel from the sump pump hole and chissel it out, going under the closet doors and into the closet. This channnel is for the hose, that will connect to the PVC. Not pictured here, the PVC actually has an elbow joint at the bottom where it is secured to the floor.

I have procured a 2"x2" 1/8" thick steel plate which I intend to cover the sump pump with. Over which I will be carpeting using Legato Carpet Squares by Miliken.

I would like to "route" out the concrete surrounding the sump pump an eighth of an inch so that the steel plat lays fush with the floor.

Any ideas on how this might best be accomplished?

Is there such a thing as a masonry router bit?

Thanks,
Lynch

Attachments

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Custer said:
Hire someone and then go shooting.
LMAO!!!

Thanks... it's not often that actually bust out laughing in my cube.

Lynch

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Lynch,

How about if you set your masonry blade for a 1/8" deep cut, then after you cutout the outline, you just make a bunch of parallel cuts spaced fairly close together and then just chisel it out? :confused:

I'm afraid that's the only suggestion I can come up with.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
There are masonary blades for circular saws you could use.

An angle grinder could be another option for taking away the material. If you go a little deeper you fill in with some of that quick setting concrete mix and level your channles out afterwards.

3 weeks ago I had to cut my foundation out for my new basement door to fit correctly. I used a cirular saw with the masory bit to make cuts then I used my air chissel to break it off.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
7.62x39 said:
Lynch,

How about if you set your masonry blade for a 1/8" deep cut, then after you cutout the outline, you just make a bunch of parallel cuts spaced fairly close together and then just chisel it out? :confused:

I'm afraid that's the only suggestion I can come up with.
Yep... that's about where I'm at right now.

I'm not a "pro" at this stuff so I just thought it might be worth collecting some more ideas.

It's looking like no matter how I slice it... it is going to involve some elbow grease and a fair amount of dust.

Thanks,
Lynch

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SangRun Hunter said:
There are masonary blades for circular saws you could use.

An angle grinder could be another option for taking away the material. If you go a little deeper you fill in with some of that quick setting concrete mix and level your channles out afterwards.

3 weeks ago I had to cut my foundation out for my new basement door to fit correctly. I used a cirular saw with the masory bit to make cuts then I used my air chissel to break it off.
Yeah, I'm not too concerned about going too deep as I can always add a little back... just looking for the easiest way to get it routed out.

Looks like when I rent the circular saw to cut then chissel the channel, I might just set it to 1/8" and level the plate the same way.

I don't know if a grinder would make the job any easier... I'd hazzard to guess that would be a lot of grinding.

Air chissel? What's that?

Lynch

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Lynch said:
Yeah, I'm not too concerned about going too deep as I can always add a little back... just looking for the easiest way to get it routed out.

Looks like when I rent the circular saw to cut then chissel the channel, I might just set it to 1/8" and level the plate the same way.

I don't know if a grinder would make the job any easier... I'd hazzard to guess that would be a lot of grinding.

Air chissel? What's that?

Lynch
We use them here to chip out basement foundations to set steel beams. You need a compressed air hook up.

I can loan you one when you come to the shoot.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Custer said:
We use them here to chip out basement foundations to set steel beams. You need a compressed air hook up.

I can loan you one when you come to the shoot.
You're kill'n me... absolutely kill'n me.

No dice... I'm going to rent the circular saw Friday morning. Should have it cutt and chisseled out, a few odds and ends tied up, and be laying the carpet on Saturday.

If all goes well... while you are shooting, I'll be starting the trim work.

:p
Lynch

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SangRun Hunter said:
Yeah, Lynch!

When you come out to shoot I'll loan you my compressor and air chisel! :rofl:
Man... not you too.

Lynch

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Lynch said:
You're kill'n me... absolutely kill'n me.

No dice... I'm going to rent the circular saw Friday morning. Should have it cutt and chisseled out, a few odds and ends tied up, and be laying the carpet on Saturday.

If all goes well... while you are shooting, I'll be starting the trim work.

:p
Lynch
I shot Saturday. In shirt sleeves. One of my new Mosins. My AR. My son's new mil spec Springfield Armory .45 ACP. My buddies HK .40S&W.

A nice day but I got a tad of a sunburn.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey... BTW Lead... completed my pre-flight diagnostic today for "V" day.

Only a few weeks out.

I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

Got it on the calendar yet?

Lynch

·
'Explosives expert"
1,208 Posts
Lynch said:
Hey... BTW Lead... completed my pre-flight diagnostic today for "V" day.

Only a few weeks out.

I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

Got it on the calendar yet?

Lynch
My memorie is short as the rest of me bro, help me out w/ the V day thing?

·
Registered
32 Posts
How much is the rental of the saw going to cost you? I think I only paid about $50 when I bought mine. Granted it isn't a top of the line professional model, but it doesn't sound like you need or will use one of those anyway. Price a new one over at Home Depot or somewhere similar before renting one. For a few extra bucks you might as well have a tool that you can keep for the next project.

Greg

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Greg L said:
How much is the rental of the saw going to cost you? I think I only paid about $50 when I bought mine. Granted it isn't a top of the line professional model, but it doesn't sound like you need or will use one of those anyway. Price a new one over at Home Depot or somewhere similar before renting one. For a few extra bucks you might as well have a tool that you can keep for the next project.

Greg
I got mine 7 years ago, it was a factory rebuild from Craftsman. Cost me $27.50 total. Masonary blade was $14 from Home Depot 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Lynch,

Make sure you keep the area wet while sawing to keep the dust down. Not only will it keep the basment dust free but your lungs also. Silacosis is no laughing matter.

BTW, I would cut the outline and use a grinder for the rest.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Stand back guys, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....

Seriously though, I figured since I do this for a living, I'll throw my 2c in.

First off. The idea of trying to inlett the steel plate is a good one, but will be more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. The concrete is made up of thousands of little stones, that will not fracture easily or uniformly. You could make a bunch of cuts every 1/2" or so, and then break everything up with a hammer and chisel.....Thats a job. Plus, you would need to make the cuts at least twice the thickness of the plate, and build back up with a Moarter mix. You wouldn't want to use concrete as the stones won't let you feather the shallow edges you are trying to clean up. What I'd do is, fill the hole. Take a piece of plywood (3/4 or 1") and cut a circle out of it to fill the hole. Take some strong 90* angle brackets and tapcon them to the inside of the sump hole. You want the brackets to mount only as low as the thickness of the plywood. You can then drop the wood onto the brackets and roll out the floor.

Now the trench. From the picture I imagine you are going to run the hose through the trench to the PCV. If this is the case, how are you filling the trench back in? I would use something other than a hose if you are concreting it back. The lye in the concrete will eventually (not long) eat the rubber hose away. Then we have major problems. And in concrete too...LOL I'd just run some PVC from the pump right to the pipe in the closet, and then concrete it in. Don't forget a union on the stand pipe so you can switch the pump out in the future.

Hope this helps, and I'll trty to answer any more questions the best I can,

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Oh yea.....

I forgot about the saw. I'd rent a Demo Saw with a diamond blade and keep water running to keep the dust down. If you must use a circular saw...DON'T use water. It will be a shocking experience. And do try to keep the dust away from the saw. The dust WILL get into the armature of the saw, and ruin it. A large fan blowing on the saw will keep most of the dust away. And don't forget your respirator.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts